NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help me please

CHRSTNA

It's been a couple of months my bird has not grown back his feathers on his stomach around his neck and his tail. And we don't know why it was worse before and I asked some people who own grey's why is it like that, that he always plucks out his feathers and they said it may be his toys are getting boring or stress. We bought him some new toys it stopped the plucking for a bit and then it went on again so i don't think it's the toys maybe something else but i don't know what maybe it's dry skin i'm not sure he always seems to be itchy. So if anyone knows how to fix it please tell me. Here are some pictures to show. The pictures are a little big but it gives you a better look.

******But the last picture shows him before he ever started plucking his feathers.

Newone-2.jpg

Newtwo.jpg

Newone-3.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: CHRSTNA, at: 2008/07/08 03:07

Some greys need more things to keep them busy and providing foraging opportunities will do the trick for a lot of them. We have some threads that deal with what you can provide for them, there are foraging toys you can buy and inexpensive ones you can make.

Some greys like to destroy anything made of wood, others love tearing up paper, you know your grey best so you should be able to come up with things to keep the beak busy without pulling out feathers.

You say he is itchy, bathing 2 to 3 times a week seems to help with that and using the aloe vera juice will help also, especially hit the bare areas, the juice seems to soothe the skin.

There may be something else that has made him start to pluck but try this and see if there is any improvement then we can go from there.

Other members will have some more and better ideas and suggestions for you.

Please introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us a little about you and this grey.

Has he been to your avian vet to rule out a medical cause for this plucking and feather chewing? If not, schedule an appointment as soon as possible to run a blood panel, and full physical.

Write down any questions you have for your vet and be prepared to answer lots of questions:

*diet, including treats

*cage, location & arrangements

*toys (preening, chewing, wood, indestructible, etc)

*schedule (how much out-time, how much sleep, how much in-cage time, one-on-one time)

*bathing (spray bottle, shower, tub, or bowl)

Plucking can be due to liver ailments among other things. It's also important for your vet to record the plucking on his chart in the event that the behaviour comes and goes for no apparent reason. If there is a pattern to it, then that will help lead to an explanation.

I have a parrotlet that plucks due to illness, it came on suddenly just after last Christmas and he's been medicated since then. In the past 6 months, he's had two relapses, so it looks like it's becoming a chronic condition.

Hello, if he is itchy, maybe you should get a suitable mite and louse killer from your vet just in case. Once some greys start to pluck, it unfortunately becomes a habit. I think bad diet often plays a part in plucking. I'm not at all saying you feed your grey wrong, as there are other causes for plucking, but have you read up about diet, and have your grey on a very high quality diet? Good luck and I really hope you get him sorted out. :)<br><br>Post edited by: Amber, at: 2008/07/08 13:14

• 3 weeks later...

hi..

I would try a spray called avi bird rain for the itching, its abouy £6 a bottle, and can be bought from your vets, or online, and bath him/her in luje warm water a few times a week. Parrots also pluck out of lolieness, is your bird alone a lot of the time? how long is it in the cage per day? My parrot is amused for hours shredding a toliet roll holder, even shiny sweety wrappers lol...

hope this helps xox

Cristina consult with your vet. It is important because the vet will tell you if it is a mite or other parasitic problem. Your grey looked so healthy before. Are you giving it enough attention? I read that when you gave it new toys it stopped for a while. Remember that these animals thrive on interaction as being part of a flock. Anyways consulting your vet is the best bet and something to consider is revisit the diet you are feeding your grey. B)