NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Flying Cross Country

hocke230

Hello,

I really dont want to do this but left with zero options, I was relocated to LA - from Charlotte - and having everything shipped ( car/furniture/goods)what precautions do I need to follow, taking her on the plane with me? Can I give her something to ease the stress?

Any personal experience with this? I have a small dog cart for her that has a built in perch, just wonder how the pressure effects them

I've never taken mine on a plane but I would imagine you have to have some kind of vet certificate stating she is in good health and get her into the cabin with you and not in the cargo hold, the temps can get very hot there. This might limit you on the number of carriers that will allow this but for her own safety it is imperative you do so.

I wouldn't thing the pressure would affect them any more than it does us and other members who have some experience with flying with their grey will chime in with some ideas and suggestions for you I'm sure.

Some Airlines will let you carry them on. If hat is possible, you would not really need to give your Grey anything. As long as you can interact with him/her. I have seen some vets prescribe mild meds for traveling birds and other critters.

You may want to check with your Vet to see what they recommend. How does your Grey react to new situations, being out in the open etc? That would pretty much tell you if medication is necessary or not.

Here is a good website with good tips on air travel with your Parrot:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=15&cat=1794&articleid=2270

Always call the airlines you plan to use to find out their requirements. If the carrier, or certification for your bird isn't up to their standards, they can refuse to let your bird on board. Then what do you do? Even if you follow all their rules, rules can be changed, so confirm the requirements the day before your flight to be sure. (This happened to my son, boy! was he mad, but it made no difference to the airline. They didn't really care that this ruined his plans.)

{Emotions-00020075}