NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

HOT Weather advisory

danmcq

I thought I would share this with all during this Summer season. In many regions extreme heat is a common occurrence with temperatures running from the mid 90's to 100's (105 here today).

I had Dayo and Jake outside yesterday from 9am to 11:30am. Both their Cages were strategically placed half in the Sun and half out, so they could chose if they needed to cool down. By 11 it was around 88.

I went in the house for about 5 minutes. Came back out and sat down. Watching Dayo, I noticed he was sitting with beak a 1/4 inch open, slightly panting and wings were slightly held out from his body.

This is a direct indication he was starting to overheat. I moved both the Parrots and Cages back in the house.

Please ensure when you have your Greys or other Parrots outside in the Summer. That you pay special attention to Cage placement, have cool fresh water in their Cage and more importantly pay careful to their body language for indications of over-heating. If they do happen to become overheated. Move them inside and mist with cool water to help the cool-down process.

If your Home is 85 or higher inside, please ensure you have a safe cage type fan running in the room to ensure good air circulation. It does not need to be pointed directly at your bird.

If you’re taking your bird to the veterinarian’s during the summer, don’t do any other errands before or after your trip to the veterinarian’s, unless you’re going to the drive-through!

Because heat stroke most often occurs in car-bound birds, an obvious step you need to take is to not leave your bird in a car, with the windows shut or even down a bit, on a hot afternoon. The temperatures inside a car rise rapidly and on return you will find you Parrot collapsed from a stroke or worse....Dead!!

Enjoy your summer and your Grey, but safely. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/07/07 16:48

Thanks Dan for the wonderful post to remind parrot owners to heed the warning about their flock overheating when outside in the heat and inside cars.

I'm glad you weren't inside the house but for 5 minutes for if it had been for much longer Dayo might not be with you today and it can happen so quickly like you described.

You may have saved a precious life today with your post, karma for you my man:kiss:

I glad it is well received. :-)

If it just saves one Parrot of any type from a heat stroke. It will be wonderful.

Tracy - Whats up with that England weather? Is it normal to have cold stormy conditions like that in the Summer?

Thanks Dan! With the summer weather in full swing, we also have thunderstorms here. I can't make out if they upset Bella and Jiggy or if they seem to be "ok" with it. When a thunderstorm gets going, Jiggy and Bella really start chattering at the top of their lungs. But, they don't seeem stressed out. Anyone have any insight into how thunderstorms affect the babies?