NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Smart Bird special on Animal Planet

Kaedyn

I just happened upon a show on Animal Planet this evening called Extraordinary Animals. The particular episode was called Smart Bird. It has several greys along with Alex and Irine Pepperberg. It's probably too late now for anyone to catch it, but like most channels, I'm sure they'll re-air it soon.

I'm only about 10 minutes into it, but it appears to delve into their cognitive and speech abilities, both how and why.

It was a wonderful show. It highlighted Dr. Pepperberg with Griffin (now 12) and his abilities are, according to Dr. Pepperberg probably going to out do Alex (May he rest in (Peace). They also showed a study she did with a classroom of 3 to 4 year old children asking them to identify colors, matter (substance like Rock) and numbers. Griffin and Alex both equaled the cognitive abilities of this age group.

They showed Dr. Pepperberg attending an "Einstein" show with the usual questions of how does a dog sound etc. It was clearly obvious these are rehearsed mimics and not true cognitive abilities as Griffin and Alex have been worked with to achieve.

If they rerun it, everyone should have their satellite or cable boxes auto-tune to it so you don't forget. Thats what I did. You can do a search for a key word like Parrot and it will display all the programming for around a week with that word associated. Simply mark the programs you wish to see or record. :-)

danmcq wrote:

If they rerun it, everyone should have their satellite or cable boxes auto-tune to it so you don't forget. Thats what I did. You can do a search for a key word like Parrot and it will display all the programming for around a week with that word associated. Simply mark the programs you wish to see or record. :-)

Thanks Dan, I didn't know you could do that, learn something new every day!!:whistle: