NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

my CAG hates new stuff.

adelt

hello all..

i have a little problem with my CAG. he dont accept a toy in his cage. i tried several things like placing it infront of the cage for days or weeks. when ever i try to get it closer to the cage he is scared and would keep pushing at every corner of the cage to escape. placing it on top of the cage didnt help either. as i feel sorry for him in minutes. i guess coco and i has a 50/50 situation. i can scratch his head for hours when he is in the cage and for a shorter time when he is out as any small sound around would alert him and makes him go away. i cant teach him to step up yet as well. now how can i convince him to accept toys and other stuff in his cage?

thank you all in advance..

If a parrot seems nervous about a new toy being placed in the cage investigate the reason. Many times the toy can be too large or a certain-colour can frighten a bird for a particular reason. First, try leaving it out on a table a few feet from the cage. Then slowly over the next few days move it closer to the cage and see if the parrot responds more positively to it.Some greysneed to betaught how to play, here is a link for you....

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/the-nursery/73105-teaching-your-baby-to-play.html

This one is for the step up...

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/behavior/f/birdstepup.htm

Hi Adelt

I think most greys seem to be leary of new toys and it does indeed take a bit of time for them to get used to it. When I introduce a new toy to Bella's environment (her cage and playtop) she does the same thing - she freaks out. But I've found if something isn't associated with her environment, but with the common areas, like the living room, bedroom or kitchen, she's totally curious about it and begins to play with it. So, when I get her a new toy I put it in the living room with me on the couch and I play with it. In addition, I ignore her and pretend it's all about me and my fun. Eventually she can't stand it and she has to come look. She always tastes things first LOL, so she sticks out her tongue and tastes the new toy. Eventually I can put it into her play space.

I also can introduce new toys without a problem to my conure. Once it is in his cage for a while, Bella gets very curious about it and starts playing wiht it in his cage.

So, with Bella, it has something do with putting something in her cage that seems to offend her. I dont' know if that is the same with yours, but maybe you can try introducing things some place other than his cage?

Cheers!

Terri<br><br>Post edited by: Nychsa, at: 2008/07/05 00:54

Hello Adelt,

You indicate that you have left the new toy(s) in sight and near the cage for days/weeks. Have you actually tried just hanging it on the outside of the cage for a few days also? Once your grey is ok with it hanging on the outside, you can then move it to the inside. He will get used to it in his cage in a day or two.

The step ups and hand comfort-ability will only come from consistency in working with him on it daily and making him overcome his fear boundary a little more each day. :-)