NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Needy Grey

Jaco1007

Hi All

My CAG, Jaco, is very needy. Whenever I go into the bathroom or bedroom he flies from his cage and waddles over to me. I was sleeping the living room of my one bedroom apartment but now I have a bed and sleep in the bedroom. I work nights and like to keep him out on his cage during the day as I sleep. Also, he growls at anyone who comes in the door. The maintenance guy scared him a few weeks ago and he's never been the same around people. I know he is a "one man bird". I am worried because I live by myself. Should I rehome with a family? Is a flock of two healthy for him?

Thanks for the input!

Robert

It's to be expected that Jaco is really attached to you as you live alone but I don't think you need to rehome him. You will just have to be more resourceful since you work nights and have to sleep during the day.

He just wants to be close to you since you are the only person around but there is no harm in that, its so sweet that he wants to be around you all the time.

I think you need to make the most of the time you do have to spend with him, the one on one time playing with him and actually handling him.

I get the feeling you really love this bird so how could you give him up, maybe some of the other members will have better ideas than I could come up with.

Is he not supervised during the day if you are sleeping? This would concern me as accidents do and can happen. Are you spending any time with him one on one when you are awake? Playing games with him and interacting? Sounds to me like he just wants some attention. Caroline.

I don't think you need to re-home your grey,you obviously care for him, but as Casper i would have concerns from a safety aspect of leaving your grey out while your sleeping.You need to work out how to get the best out of your own personal situation,spending quality time with him when your awake & when your sleeping perhaps leave him in his cage with the TV or radio on, provide him with plenty of foraging toys in his cage to occupy him.