NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey for Sale. LI NY

Demonio71

I have come to a decision to sell my CAG, he is 1 1/2 years old, friendly and starting to talk. I do not have the time to spend with him I do think he would be happier with someone who can give him the attention he deserves. I am asking $1200.00 I see them in the pet stores for more and those are not as young or as friendly. We are located in New York on Long Island, if your interested and want to see pics you can email me at demonio71@aol.com (put CAG in the subject feild).. Seriouse inquires only please.

Didn't you buy a grey 5 days ago? You posted

"Well after all my thinking I did it, I bought a Congo today. He's only a few weeks old and I have to heed him 3x a day. He is sooooo cute."

How are you selling a grey that is a year and a half because you don't have time for it, and then buying one that is only a few weeks old which would take 20 times more time than the older one?

Siobhan is correct ...

I did it - Bought a CAG today - 2007/03/31 22:01

Quote...

Well after all my thinking I did it, I bought a Congo today. He's only a few weeks old and I have to heed him 3x a day. He is sooooo cute.

Well from this is sounds as if you are wanting to sell the 1 1/2 year old grey to make way for your new baby,perhaps you may like to enlighten us ?

It doesn't seem fair that you are getting rid of one to make room for the new one.Does that mean in 6 months to 18 months the same thing will be happening to the baby?I feel bad for the first one that is now being replaced.

Marcia:angry:

I dont know what people are talking about with the response to my posting. I have the CAG since a baby but have things in my life change and DID NOT GET ANOTHER BIRD. All I want is a good home for my CAG where he can be cared for. This was not easy to decide but its for thebest.

{Emotions-000200B8}

I am a year out its 2007/03/31 not 2008/03/31! My apologies!

It still seems awful sad that a bird you have had for such a short space of time needs to be rehomed already. A CAG lives for a long time, if every body did that it would mean he would have 40 or 50 homes in his lifetime. Thats very sad.

Sorry if there was some kind of mix up in the thread.Is there any way you can keep your CAG I'm sure he has grown accustomed to you and loves you dearly?It will really be hard for him to adjust.I have quite a few that

are rehomes and are not adjusting well.

Marcia

:angry: You know I am so upset over this and I know I want to live in a world where everything and everyone are taken care of and are not abandoned or live in fear. Seriously though, I hope this beautiful baby finds a wonderful home! I cannot state it enough, regarding what type of animal you purchase, EDUCATE yourself on the breed. An animal is a PART of the family once it is brought into your home. IT RELYS ON YOU!!!! If you dont have the lifestyle or temperment or what have you for the type of parrot, or animal you are getting. DONT GET IT!!!! I am just so tired of hearing the excuses about not being able to keep an animal. Just so tired. Sorry if I ranted, but seriously everyone should have to have a license and home check. My sister has personally rescued over 3000 dogs and cats in the past eight years and some times you just say "enough is enough." Please think and educate yourself the next time you want to purchase ANY type of living being. Please.

Good luck and I hope and pray that your little one finds a wonderful home!<br><br>Post edited by: gbdb_kcb, at: 2008/07/05 18:46

Hey people, why don't ya give this guy a break? First, you get dates mixed up. Then he's accused of doing what he has to do because he's getting a new one. I didn't see that. He never said that. Then he's asked why he's taking on a new bird that's gonna take loads of work to deal with. Again, he never said anything about a new bird. Then he's asked about what kind of personality he has that would lead him to selling his bird. AND if I am missing something about a new baby then let me tell you something--I don't think we have a right to judge what his personal family situation is. I got a bird here that loved to attack the owners and when they finally had a baby, the bird decided to go after the kid. SO, I guess I should be classified as a rescuer of babies. Bad bird, wonderful infant. Then, this guy is told that it seems unfair to such a young bird to be rehomed might have a hard time adjusting. Let me tell ya something--rarely does such a young bird have a hard time adjusting to a new home. That bird I spoke of that was an attack bird was 9 at the time, is now 14 and is quite adjusted to a new place AND he doesn't attack anyone anymore which I take full credit for in solving that problem.

""""EDUCATE yourself on the breed. An animal is a PART of the family once it is brought into your home. IT RELYS ON YOU!!!! If you don't have the lifestyle or temperament or what have you for the type of parrot, or animal you are getting. DONT GET IT!!!! I am just so tired of hearing the excuses about not being able to keep an animal.""""""

What excuses?? The guy got a bird, can't take care of it and wants to sell it. He states that he wants the bird to go to a place where he can get more of the attention that he can't provide.

You know, it seems like a lot of people forgot about thanking this guy for stating and hoping that he can find a nice place for the bird. I never did see anyone thank him for looking towards the future of the bird. Just plain old negativity shoots out.

To the person who's sister saved 3000 dogs and cats--well, loads of people would consider her to be flaky and or obsessed. Whether she is or not is not known nor do I care but I'm sure that your sister wouldn't like the description of her ( flaky or obsessed) being tossed around a public board by people who really don't know why she does it.

And to the person who has 35 birds some of which can't adjust to a new home---well, loads of people would consider you to be a* hoarder*. Whether you are or not is not known nor do I care but I'm sure you wouldn't like to have that description of being a 'hoarder thrown around on a board by people who really don't know why you do it.

As for the word 'rescue'. Use it with more discrimination. Birds who have to be rehomed aren't always being rescued all the time. There's other words that aren't used as much but are often the proper and actual description that applies. Those words are 'adopt' , 'adopted', adoption.

I got 2 birds here who are both adults that I adopted as adults who couldn't live in their original homes. They were difficult birds. I never 'rescued' either one. I was asked to take them and I did. The people had different reasons about why they couldn't keep them. In other words, I adopted them.

PS---that bird I spoke of who was an attack bird, well I know for a fact that many here who would have 'rescued' him would eventually be looking to either sell or give him away after seeing what he was like and what he liked to do and that would have been within 2 months after getting him.

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/07/05 22:30<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/07/05 23:13

I think Dave's points are well taken.

gbdb_kcb one of the things I've really appreciated about this forum is the that everyone feels they can safely express what's going in their lives and with their greys without getting flamed. I think it's really important to keep that kind of "safe" environment for people to come talk. Just think if people are afraid to post because they'll get flammed, we'd never have an opportunity to provide assistance, advice or anything else.

I don't know what Demonio's circumstances are - for all we know he might be out of a home himself right now! But if the situation is just such that he can't keep his grey, then maybe we can assist him by providing tips on how he can best vet new homes.

My only advice to you Demonio would be - times are tough right now and someone who could provide a good home may not be able to come up with $1200 all at once. You may want to consider either dropping your costs a bit or allow someone to make payments.

I agree with Dave and Nychsa also. It seems as though Demonio71 thought this out. I would also have to assume that it was not an easy decision.

Perhaps, since he states that he wants to find a good home for him. That can give him the amount of attention necessary to keep him healthy and happy. Is a good reason to do so before the Grey becomes a plucker or a vicious angry Grey from Hell.

At least he did come to a forum that loves Greys and members here or those guests frequenting here would provide a good and loving home. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/07/05 23:33

I personally don't take think Dave's points are well taken at all. I was the one who mixed up the dates, and I apologised for that already. It was a simple mistake, which was genuine. If you missed my apology, then I will say it again. I read the date as 2008 when it should have been 2007. I am really very sorry for any misunderstandings I caused!

I still think that a year is a very short time for a grey. In my opinion, and it is only my opinion... which I am entitled to have even if you disagree with it... rehoming a grey every year or so is very very sad, whatever the reason may be.

On the subject of "flaming". I didnt see any flaming apart from gbdb_kcb's post which was a little harsh. However that is their opinion, which they are also entitled to have and it is obviously a very dear subject to them.

It's too bad you've decided to rehome your bird Demonio, but he's probably at a good age for it. In the wild, he would be looking to leave the family around this time. I agree with Nychsa though, it's going to be hard to find someone that will pay $1200. That's more then a baby CAG, and there are an awful lot of people who want babies over adults (just a personal observation, not scientific fact ;)). You might want to come down on the price if you need to find a home fast.

On a side note, I adopted Nikko when she was 4 years old (she is now 7). She adjusted very well, even though her former owner said she was very bonded to her. She was of course a little shy initially, but within a few months, you would never have known this wasn't her first home. I think as long as a bird is well-adjusted to begin with, rehoming won't cause a major setback. I try to socialize Nikko with as many people as possible, and take her on outings to the park and whatnot, just in case I should get hit by a bus or something and she would need a third home (here's hoping there's no bus out there with my name on it :ohmy:). In all likelihood, Nikko will never need a third home, but it doesn't hurt to prepare in case something tragic should happen.

Dave we are all human, we make errors from time to time none of us are perfect yourself included im sure.Yes the date was an error & so was my reference to a new baby,that was a separate post, again looking to re-home a grey because a baby was on the way.If i am wrong i will be the first to put my hands up & i did, i also sent the guy a personal PM with my apologies.Personally i think far to many people acquire a grey without doing the necessary homework beforehand, they are a lifetime commitment not something to be passed on like a secondhand car !

Okay, I agree that finding a better home is in the best interest of the bird, however, I hate to see birds re homed again and again. They are so much like children, I can't imagine giving away one of my children because it was a problem. Commitment to our pets is how I feel when I take a pet in. I have never given away a pet because it was a problem, (or one of my kids for that matter :P ) however, I am a bit sensitive on this subject as my sister is the complete opposite, takes animals in, and gets rid of them when she gets sick of them or they become a problem. UT disgusts me. :angry: thus my earlier response.

Everyone has different circumstances, and unless we are in their life, we really can't passed judgement on them. I expect that Demonio's family is doing the best they can.

I agree with Dan in stating that coming here to offer his bird for sale to our caring family members is a wonderful way to find a new forever home. From where I am, $1200 is the price most cags are, and I live about 3-4 hours away from him.

I do agree lovemyGreys. I wish people would think things through before acquiring a pet. Right now, our local dog/cat shelters are full, and they say that any more cats brought it will most surely be euthanized. Then you look in the papers (or see in the parking lots around here) and people are selling oodles of puppies and kittens. How many of them will end up homeless someday?

I'm a big proponent of adoption :). There are so many wonderful animals out there that need homes. Puppies, kitties, and baby birds are cute, but that doesn't last forever. Adult animals can make wonderful additions to the family :).

*gets off soapbox*

siobha9 wrote:

I personally don't take think Dave's points are well taken at all. I was the one who mixed up the dates, and I apologised for that already. It was a simple mistake, which was genuine. If you missed my apology, then I will say it again. I read the date as 2008 when it should have been 2007. I am really very sorry for any misunderstandings I caused!

I still think that a year is a very short time for a grey. In my opinion, and it is only my opinion... which I am entitled to have even if you disagree with it... rehoming a grey every year or so is very very sad, whatever the reason may be.

On the subject of "flaming". I didnt see any flaming apart from gbdb_kcb's post which was a little harsh. However that is their opinion, which they are also entitled to have and it is obviously a very dear subject to them.

Hi there Siobha!

I've fallen for the old post resurfacing as well... it too was a year old post that for some reason appeared and I found myself merrily talking to myself until Judy and Dan saved me from myself :laugh: So.. I can appreciate how that happened....

Re: flaming - I was referring to gbdb's post. I can appreciate that she has strong feelings about the rehoming issues. There have been some posts on here that really caused my hair to raise, but I kept reminding myself - "thank goodness they're asking a bunch of parrot lovers about this and not just taking this and running with it!"

Dave

I'm assuming you were referring to me as the person with 35 birds and some have not adjusted.There are actually 27 and if people would like to consider me a hoarder you know what they say when you assume.Each and everyone of my birds are seen by a Avian Vet who comes to our house.So if that was the case none of them would be in my care.I already gave my apology to the poster.Now if you feel the need to try and make a point go right ahead.I know what goes on in our house and it's

far from what anyone wants to assume.I don't have to justify anything to you or anyone else.:P

OKAY EVERYONE, enough said, no one is trying to insult anyone here, or point fingers. We are all entitled to our opinions, and they are just that, opinions. Not personal attacks. So let's move forward and back to the topic at hand. :) :)

Posting this thread is to find the best permanent home possible for Demonio in a loving family forum. :)