NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Have to take Floyd home today!!

kebbie

I just wanted to let you all know, that I will have to take Floyd home today. Since it has only been three weeks, do you think he will remember his home and the person before me? I just hope he doesn't go back to plucking hisself. His feathers were just growing out. I will miss the little rascal. I probably will get another bird, but do not want an cag, because they are more or less one person birds, and my kids want to be able to interact with it, so what kind would you say that i should get?

I feel sorry for you both. It takes a CAG a long time to settle into a new home (much longer than 3 weeks). But if a CAG is not for you, then you know best.

Some of the best birds for kids to interact with include: parrotlets, cockatiels, budgies, parakeets (yes, they are different from budgies), and some of the conures. (this is only my opinion, of course)

My personal favourite is parrotlets. They have a big personality in a small body, and are a true parrot with all the chutzpah that goes with it. Think of them as miniature Amazons. ;) They can learn to talk, whistle, and do tricks and are very portable! (Yes, I'm very biased.)

We have a caique who loves everybody! He is an adorable little fellow. Not quite as small as a cockatiel and quite sturdy. He loves the kids and the kids love him.

Here is a little video of him playing with my daughter.

http:////http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMPqAOZ9xDY&feature=user

There are lots more videos of caiques on Youtube to get an idea of their personalities. Be warned though, they have LOTS of energy and want to play all the time, which I think is a good thing!

Is floyd going back to your cusin or his mom? I feel so bad if he has to go back to your aunt...those are horrid conditions for a grey and I can't stand to think of a poor animal being locking in a room and only getting what would only keep it alive to go through another miserable day. If he is going back to his mom do you know if he is one day going to take him back from her?

If you like the Larger parrots, I really like the Umbrella Cockatoos. I'm betting that sense you have 50 chickens that noise isn't really an issue. I have yet to see a U2 that didn't do great with kids, and they are so snuggly and love EVERYONE! If you want a family bird that's the one I recommend...but do some research into whatever you think of getting first.;)

Yes, he had to go back to his mother's, but I sent him with all of his pellets that I had just purchased, foods, and veggies, fruits, several things that I knew he loved, and she put him back into her living room where he can see everything going on, and she can keep him company. I really stressed to her that he would be better off in there instead of the laundry room. He seemed just fine, and was calling out her husband's name, like he missed them. I gave him some carrots, and boy did he like that. I wrote her a note telling her what the vet said, and that he has to strictly be on a pellet diet no seeds, only for treats, so she probably will keep him on it. i really blame the owner of the bird, for not bringing him home or either selling him to someone that could really give him alot of love and attention. He loved my noisy house, with my six year old singing to him, and all of us paying him loads of attention. I cried when I took out his cage, and placed him in his taxi. I already miss his company, and funny wisecracks.

I purchased a quaker today, and she seemed really taken with my kids, and myself. She walked all over them, and loved on them. I will get to bring her home probably next week. I am gonna name her Chloe.

I'm sorry to hear about Floyd, Kebbie.

I wish you could have kept him :(, but hopefully he'll enjoy his new place in the living room.

You'll love your Quaker, they're fantastic. They're BIG personality birds and I also think they're gorgeous. I've never seen such a little bird strut the way my mother's Quaker does.

They can be quite the talkers too. I'm sure you'll love Chloe.

Budgies, tiels and some conures are great with kids. But how well they do with your kids well really depend on how good your kids are with the birds in the long run.

BTW a parakeet is a long tailed bird. Quakers are even parakeets. Budgies are also parakeets. (Many people still call a budgie a parakeet. I did for many years.)

There are two kinds of budgies. The American budgie and the English budgie. Both make great children's pets if you have the patience to tame them.

Parrotlets I would think would be way to nippy to be a childs pet. But not all p'lets are created equal. lol<br><br>Post edited by: Tari, at: 2008/07/05 10:29

Tari,

Thanks for the info, my kids are really good with animals. We talked to the owner of the bird farm, and he said that we could bring Chloe home next Friday and try her for the night, to see how she does. We don't want to get her too early, for fear she will regress. She will be barely weaned, and I am anxious but scared too. I have never had a tiny baby bird. Did any of you bring home your baby that was just weaned? What is some of the signs that I can look for if she starts regressing? :woohoo:

we went today and played with Chloe again, and she just loved being held and petted. She acted like she didn't want to get back in her cage. She is so beautiful, she has the blue tipped wings, and blue tipped tail. {Feel-good-0002006E}