NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

CAGS AND PEANUTS HOW MANY?

jencrane63

I know that you should limit peanuts. My question is...How many should you limit to a day. I use the whole peanuts in the shell for CoCo as a treat and a reward, but don't want to give too many. I am going to get some fresh green beans and see if he would like those or any other ideas would be great.

Thanks

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Your correct in that you should limit the quantity of nuts fed to your grey due to the high fat content.Macadamia nuts and Almonds offer the best nutritional value.

My greys actually have half a walnut each ( their favourite ) each morning with their fruit.They get one almond in with their seed mix in the evening.

Pine nuts are a big favourite with greys & i use them as a reward treat.I only purchase human grade nuts & personally dont offer mine nuts in the shell this is due to Peanut shells and peanuts can carry concentrations of spores from the aspergillus mold.

Here is a few links for you which are worth having a read through...

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/bird-food/23193-peanuts-in-the-shell.html#23728

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/bird-food/29553-aspergillosis.html#29631

Any nut can suffer from fungi and the aflatoxin byproduct it produces, Almonds included. The bottom line is if you choose to feed your bird nuts in the shell you need to exercise common sense, buy human grade products and store them appropriately to reduce the potential for health issues. I choose to feed a few peanuts in shell per week. I also offer almonds (Kip loves them). However, I crack the shells and peer inside/inspect for any signs of mold. Its very easy to spot if moldy to a level likely to be of concern. Make no mistake other fresh fruits and vegetables can suffer from asperilligus fungi and the same aflatoxins. Nuts may be more prone to the issue based on how they are collected and stored, but you need to evaluate any foods offered. I for one dont believe in extremes on this issue, particularly since if one takes that approach logically you would need to cut out many other foods as well. Nuts in moderation are nutritious and enjoyed by birds so I provide them in a controlled manner.

I give Dayo Peanuts, in the shell, but crack them open first to check, like Mark. I also give him shelled peanuts. He loves Almonds, Walnuts and Pine nuts as well.

I really do not need to limit Dayo on these items. He will eat a couple, stop and move on to other seeds, veggies or fruits. I believe he may be the exception, in the sense that he eats items in balance manner, rather than just his "favorite".

If you check the ingredients of Harrison's pellets, you will find the to principal ingredients are sunflower seeds and peanuts.

Always buy only "Human Grade" as others have indicated. :-)

I only give human grade, raw nuts without shell. They taste WAY better than the roasted ones and are better for you (and your Grey.) Peanuts are something that I avoid except in the form of natural peanut butter, and that's reserved for a treat on toast once in a blue moon. :P