NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Talking only when we are gone

karasue

I recently got a 4 year old CAG. He will not speak, only make certain noises, we repeat HELLO and others to him but he will not speak. Yesterday I left to go to work, I left, shut the door and listened. He went to town on talking. He was making all kinds of noises, whistling and saying all kinds of things. How do we get him to to this while we are there. Also, he makes a high pitched smoke detector beeping type sound. We ignore him when he does this so he understands it is bad, but he continues to do it everytime we leave his sight. One more thing, He was never taught to step up and he bites if we try to teach him. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Many greys are closet talkers ! when their human companions leave the room, they then roll of their whole vocabulary !Maybe given time he will feel comfortable & confident to talk in front of you, but dont expect him to perform on command ;)

As for the high pitched noise you are doing the correct thing in ignoring it,it may be he is calling for your attention when you leave the room.

here is a link for the step up command..

http://exoticpets.about.com/od/behavior/f/birdstepup.htm

My Grey, woody, did this same thing when we first got him. He barely spoke in front of my boyfriend or I, but when we leave the room/house/apartment..oh my! The whole complex shakes with his chatter. I think he wants me to come back, or he is just amusing himself since he can't gawk at my face anymore.

Eventually He'll come around to chatting near you!

I knew a bird once that only spoke the word hello. He never said it in front of anyone only when out of the room. It was almost as though he was calling out and when you entered he had no reason to say anything. Strange.