NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Scared

Lauri

Hi,

Hope you can help me. I've just recently (Friday) got a CAG who is scared of everything....especially hands. Any suggestions on how to earn his trust? He yells when I go to get him out of the cage, but will settle on a stand or on my shoulder. He does flinch and growl every time I move my hands. So far hasn't bitten but he can make a hell of a racket. Obviously I know it will take time, but any suggestions on how to make it go more smoothly would be appreciated! :)

Thanks,

Lauri

Hi Lauri, how old is this Cag? That seems to be a trait of greys to be scared of everything but some more so than others. A baby grey usually is not as afraid of new things as much as an older bird is and that is why I ask his age.

If he is an older bird then he has maybe suffered some mistreatment and no wonder he is scared. Don't make sudden movements around him, those tend to freak them out, talk softly to him but this is going to be a long road to gaining his trust so be very patient and yes it will take a lot of time but will be worth it.

While you are at it, why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us a little more about you and this Cag, name maybe?

You need to go slow with this guy. Pushing him to come to you will only make him withdraw more.

Leave his cage door open and let him decide when/if he wants to come out.

Sit with your back to his cage, but also so you can see him out of the corner of your eye. (Always avoid looking at him with both eyes - close one, or look at him sidelong. Greys are prey animals, and we have the eyes of a predator, so looking at them head-on only makes them more nervous.)

Read aloud (softly) and let his curiosity work for you.

Have lots of patience with him and don't make any demands on him until he's settled in and is interested in some interaction. Let him warm up to you slowly and at his own pace.

Good luck! :)

If you haven't bought any books about Greys yet, here's my own reading list.

My favourite books include:

* For the Love of Greys (Bobbi Brinker)

* Guide to a Well-Behaved Parrot (Barron's)

* The Parrot Who Owns Me (Joanna Burger,Ornithologist)

* Sally Blanchard's Companion Parrot Handbook (aka The Happy Bappy Fun Book)

* Good Bird! (Barbara Heidenreich)

* the Parrot Problem Solver, Finding Solutions to Aggressive Behavior (Barbara Heidenreich)

These books will not only give you a lot of excellent information, but will also give you an idea about what living with a bird is like. (particularly: "The Parrot Who Owns Me" )

Other books of interest: (worth at least a good browsing)

* The African Grey Parrot Handbook (Barron's)

* The Alex Studies (Irene Pepperberg)

* Birds on the Couch(Ruth Hanessian)

* The Essential African Grey (Pamela Leis Higdon)

* Guide to Companion Parrot Behaviour (Barron's)

* Keeping African Grey Parrots (David Alderton)

* My Parrot, My Friend (Doane & Qualkinbush)

* Pampering Polly (Terri Ann King)

* Parrot-toys & Play Areas (D'Arezzo & Shannon-Nunn)

* The Pleasure of Their Company, An Owner's Guide to Parrot Training (Bonnie Munro Doane)

* The Second-hand Parrot (Barron's)

* Why Does My Bird Do That? (Julie Rach Mancini)

* Parrots For Dummies

Reference Books: (it's always good to know what your avian vet is talking about)

* Avian Medicine (Tully, Lawton, Dorrestein)

* Exotic Animal Formulary, Second Edition

* First Aid for Birds (Julie Rach)

* Manual of Ornithology, Avian Structure & Function (Proctor & Lynch)

* The Parrot in Health and Illness (Bonnie Munro Doane)

I've ready all these books myself (and own a copy of each.) You could say I was a compulsive researcher. :P

M2MM you wrote: " You could say I was a compulsive researcher. "

I believe that is an accurate statement and maybe an under statement. :-) :P

MM2MM has given great advice and list of books to read.

Karma to M2MM for the good reply!!

The key is going to be time and patience. Your new Grey is not yet accustomed to his new Home, Cage, You and family, strange noises and smells etc.

The last thing he/she wants is to accept a strangers hand. They must trust you and your hands before that will ever happen. Sitting on your shoulder, he/she knows they are in control and can be gone in case they are alarmed.

Just take it slow and easy, always reassuring him/her that you are not a predator or going to mis-handle in any way. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/07/01 22:00

Hi again,

Here's some more info. His name is Peeper, but was called PP. I'm thinking of changing it.....pros/cons? He was in a cage with one perch and a bell. The previous owner had him since 2004. Bought him at one of the nastiest pet shops in the area. When I've gone in their bird room it takes my breath away. He (DNA sexed) was weaned at the time and that's all they told her. So I'm guessing he's about 5. He does have a band, but I don't want to stress him by restraining him more then I need to at this point. I know a wellness check was performed in 2004. Right now I have him in a smallish cage with a few different perches, boing, and a few wooden toys. The reason for the smallish cage at this point is to hopefully make him want to come out. Of course when I say smallish it's not that small he still has plenty of room to flap his wings and wander around when he gets the courage to. I will of course be buying him a larger cage.

One suggestion was giving him the option of coming out on his own. My understanding is that is exactly what his options were for the last 4 years. Of course he never came out, and when he did it would sometimes take a day or more to get him back in his cage. Sooo maybe I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that he's been given too many choices. So what I've been doing is insisting that he come out of the cage. Normally he growls runs around and then runs up my arm to my shoulder. I'm now putting him on a stand (first couple of days couldn't do that he flew off as best he could since he was recently clipped) and just letting him hang out with us. When he's on the stand he shows interest and seems content by leaning forward and looking around. He also does that riding around on my shoulder. The only problem I have is transferring him from one to the other. All hell breaks loose. Last night I approached the stand by going sideways and one time he was apprehensive, but OK the next time he took off, flew down, and ran under the bookcase I have. This time (for the first time) nailed me when I picked him up. Unfortunately when I pick him up I have to hold his foot or he's off and running again. I KNOW he hates it, but I don't want him crashing around so at least it's a bit more controlled.

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome! OK, well off to see if I can find that page to introduce myself! LOL I've never dealt with a forum like this so I'm learning how to navigate.:unsure:

Thanks!

Lauri

It's still very early in the game and everything is new to him and SCARY. :-)

One other thing that may be going on too, is at 5 years old he could be hormonal as sexual maturity and the search for a mate for life starts around that age.

Combine hormones with a scary new environment and you really have one freaked out bird. You are handling it well and trying to allow him freedom, yet controlled, which is fine.

Perhaps, the next time you need to transfer him, you could offer a snack he can't refuse such as a peanut, almond, sunflower seed etc. to keep him and his beak focused on that, rather than your hand. But, it is still all going to take time, consistency and patience with this new guy. :-)