NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parrots For Sale

Hello everyone I just wanted to post it for everyone out there that has always wanted to have a Parrot and couldn't afford it because pet stores prices. I just bought my Parrot from this breeder in and I do have to say his prices are great compare to the stores. If interested please contact me and I will direct you.

Price list

Congo African Grays – $775.00

Blue Front Amazons – $625.00

Double Yellow-Head Amazons – $675.00

Red Loried Amazons – $500.00

Orange Wing Amazons – $350.00

Blue and Gold Macaws – $750.00

Green-wing Macaws - $1100.00

Scarlet Macaws – $775.00

Moluccan Cockatoo - $800

Conures available upon request

All birds sell at 6-8 weeks old

Well thats why his prices are low he sells his birds unweaned,none of the above are fully weaned at 6-8 weeks.Im sorry but it infuriates me,just looks like he is in it for the profit that is to be made by having a fast turnover.Genuine caring breeders here in the UK never sell unweaned babies,i appreciate it's different from country to country, none the less it still makes me cross.

It's very difficult to wean a parrot properly. My TAG arrived "fully weaned" at 5 1/2 months, but within a month he stopped eating and needed to be handfed again, my vet had to help me learn how to do it (did a great job too) and he eventually recovered from whatever was ailing him (we never did figure it out before he was all better again), but then I was struggling to wean him myself. My vet went away on an extended holiday (burn-out related) and chose not to come back from the Carribean. So, I was stuck, until the clinic was able to recruit another avian vet. Kumiko wasn't fully weaned until he was nearly 14 months old.

I tell my story any time someone buys an unweaned or very young "fully weaned" baby parrot, with the misinformation that handfeeding is "fun" and weaning is "easy."

Thank you, I will put away my soapbox now.

{Communicate-00020115}

• 4 weeks later...

You should never buy a parrot before it is weaned. On June 21st at a bird expo in Nashville, a vendor was selling 2-3 week old CAG. There were two there and I purchased my toys and left the expo. Something made me go back and purchase the birds. they were taken to the vet immediately. They were severely dehydrated, had bacteria infection and on and on. The littlest one would have died by Monday followed by the larger one on Tuesday if not having been to the vet immediately.

An experienced person is now weaning the babies. However, the larger one must have been force-fed with the food going directly into his stomach and by-passing the crop. He doesn't know how to eat because of this and it takes almost an hour to get enough food in him now.

African Greys can take up to 20+ weeks to wean. Selling birds before they are weaned is illegal in all but 11 states.

I wouldn't recommend buying from this breeder.

• 4 weeks later...

We got ponti when she was six months old because the breeder said she was having a little trouble learning to eat. I was patient and waited until the time was right, and it was worth it! Ponti came into our lives in May 2006

I got ponti for free because I did some extensive computer work for a lady who used to own a pet store, and I told her in trade for payment, if she could put me in contact with someone who could get me a deal on a grey, I'd call it even. she said, "I've got a lady who owes me a grey, when she comes through on that, we'll give her to you" And true to her word, a few months later, ponti entered our family. For that I put Jan on the "family plan" when it comes to computers....free tech support for life!

We bought maggie off craigslist for $350. When we arrived and saw that they had her in a cage that was way too small for her, and that they were keeping her outside 24/7, we practically threw the money at them and took her home. Kept her across the street at my grandparents house until we were certain she was healthy, had our avian vet check her out, and now she's part of our family too! We've had her since early july.

• 1 month later...

Bird breeding should be illegal. Definitely part of the problem and NOT part of the solution.

The bird rescues are so full that they have to turn away birds all the time.

Please rescue a bird in need and educate others. Most importantly stop supporting these breeders.

I agree that rescuing a Parrot or other critter is preferred for an experienced person or one that has done their research, knows how to cope with the baggage and understands it is a commitment out of love or a person that is willing and desires to learn all they must to properly care and provide for them.

In regards banning the breeders, I disagree. This would then start up a huge demand on the black market for illegally smuggling in the Parrots in demand and charging large sums of money for each. It would then promote the capture of wild Parrots that are already getting close to the extinction level.

Most small breeders do a great job and the only people that normally find them are ones that are aware of them and have researched the species they are interested in to prepare themselves for providing it a loving forever home. Some breeders are also very concerned about each of their babies. They watch the new potential buyers interact with their new baby when they come to visit, teach them how to handle them, feed them, train them etc. If they find that the potential buyers are not interested in learning or caring and interacting with the Parrot properly, they will refund any deposit and advise the people the bird is not for sale any longer.

What I do have a BIG problem with, is the Petsmarts and other Mega Stores that deal only with large breeding farms that pump out these babies by the 1000's in very cramped, dirty, unloving facilities and make a quick buck environment. These mega stores then put them on display to the general public in their stores across the country and when a child or parent see's the beautiful parrot in the display, can not resist the action of buying it with out knowing anything about them.

Thats where the majority of the rescues come in from. They buy a parakeet sized cage for their large Parrot. Then they get them home, start realising that the bird poops on furniture, bites them, their children, guests and also screams loudly etc. and it just becomes a nuisance to them and they throw it away like they do all other unwanted critters. Then those mega store bought birds end up in the rescues.

It is not the breeders causing this problem. It is large commercialized businesses and stupid people buying on a whim.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/10/18 14:23

Well said Dan! I completely and totally agree with you. Karma for you!! :)

Where I am from, it is very difficult to find a breeder in this state. Most of us have to go out of state to find a bird. They are rare here. No rescues, no breeders. :huh:

Bravo, Dan I truly agree. I am getting a baby Tag in mid-November from a very devoted breeder. I should say I am hoping to get a Tag. Mrs. "M" is 76 years old and has been a breeder for 30 years, she loves her babies and will not let them go unweaned. She would not take a deposit and I believe that is because she wants to meet me first to see how I and her babies get along; and if I don't pass muster, I will go home empty-handed. We talk once a week and she tells me all about her babies and how and why she is doing this or that. All the things I'm learned here she has also said in her flow of information without prompting. She has prepared packets of all kinds of information for the adopting parents and will be available with any help or questions as needed. This is a responsible breeder. She will not ship her greys. Did I think about a rescue grey, yes. I couldn't find one or even a grey for sale where I live, and after researching realized I was not prepared to be a good parent to a grey with baggage because I didn't have the knowledge to help or properly care for one. After I have first-hand knowledge about greys and if I want one, I will try to find a grey to rescue, but if one is not available, I would again go to this breeder. Because I have a right to choose. Amen.<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2008/10/18 18:30

luvparrots wrote:

Did I think about a rescue grey, yes. I couldn't find one or even a grey for sale where I live, and after researching realized I was not prepared to be a good parent to a grey with baggage because I didn't have the knowledge to help or properly care for one.

Well said!!! I also admire people who rescue parrots, but everybody has to start somewhere and when you are inexperienced with parrots but totally ready to learn then I think you are right to start with a grey with no baggage. I also started with a baby because I didnt have the knowledge to take on an older bird. I have since rescued a caique. Maybe someday you and I will be in a position to rehome an older grey;) Karma to you luvparrots :)

It is good to see this thread brought out some of our finest examples of responsible people making educated and wise decisions in both obtaining their first Parrot and eventually rescuing one or more.

Luvparrots, Siobha, MommaFwakes - My hat is off to you all. :-)

It would be great to see other members of this forum post here also. I now there are many that have similar stories of what they did before obtaining their first Parrot and how that evolved into rescuing others.

I know that if everyone here had the room and time, they would have a home filled with Parrots from rescues. Many of you have spoken of taking in more rescues and I am looking at the same.

One thing I know about every member here, is that they have HUGE hearts and would doing anything for their Parrots or help another person in need of assistance for theirs. :-)

Responsible Breeders are an asset to not only the Avian community, but also greatly help in putting a stop to the illegal trapping trade and sale of Parrots in the wild that many are becoming close to extinction levels in the wild.

Now if every government around the world would ban the import of wild caught Parrots. The possible extinction in the wild of these magnificent flying creatures would be positively eliminated.

My Hat is off to all of you. :-)

I am going to pick my first CAG up today.I have always wanted one but being a single parent it way way out of my league.The opportunity came up for my Mum to buy one for me from a breeder who is down sizing .He is a 2 1/2 year old male .He is at my mums at minute and has been for 4 weeks now .He is happy and adjusted well.But I suppose he will be a "rescue" of some kind .I have got to bring him 270 miles to his new home a new cage and a strange environment .I have done all I can , in my opinion to research what I have done and with help and support from this forum and the wonderful people on it .I hope I achieve my dream and can help him achieve a very happy and well cared for life .

I do get angry with irresponsible breeders of any kind (human and animals). :angry: But there are some who really care.:cheer: Karma to all of you who report the bad, who laud the good, to you who rescue and to you who research and learn everything possible before purchasing a baby. I really didn't know anything when I volunteered to take Sammy and knew little more when Precious came to live with us. This forum is a Godsend for me. :cheer: