NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

biting and screaming

ashleymarie2322

in two weeks I'll be getting my first grey. she is coming from a friend of our family who've had her for a while but never had time to train her or really even get her out of her cage. because she's had so little handling and because she's 4 years old I'm a bit worried about bulding a relationship with her. I've been going around to as many grey related places I can so I can get advice from as many people as possible. I want to love this bird and be able to bond with her just like I would have if I had raised her but I'm unsure of what are the best ways to do so.

she does bite and scream a lot and she won't step up for anyone but one person who she was very attached to. any advice on what I can do with Rio (the bird)?

It will take time, love, and patience to help your Grey get over her habits. I suggest you get yourself copies of Barbara Heidenreich's books: "The Parrot Problem Solver," and "Good Bird!" She gives clear instruction on how to correct negative behaviours, and retraining difficult birds. I bought my copies from Amazon, and they are definitely worth the money. :)

Time and patience to build a strong "Trust" between you and the Grey are the two most important aspects in being successful in gaining what you desire ashleymarie.

You are doing a great job in searching the web for all the information you can obtain. But, books are also very helpful and informative as well. M2MM has referenced two good books. There are also many other books as well that you may consider and reference.

M2MM - Karma to you. You have been contributing good advice since your arrival!! :-)

Dan and M2MM have given you some excellent advice, time and patience are two key ingredients for building a lasting relationship with your new to you grey.

Why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us a little more about you and this new to you grey.

do you think that changing her name would be to much for her? at 4 years old I feel like she might know it to well to change anything. I don't mind Rio so really its fine...my boyfriend was just a little curious.

thanks for all the advice! I'm very grateful for everyone here helping me out.

Like everyone has suggested ---Time and Patience.

And gentle and kind..Never show frusteration..Just back away and try again later..Always use a soothing gentle voice..After awhile you should notice very slight changes at first..Always let her come to you ..Use lots of praise..I know you will do just fine..

Sunshine:)