NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Timneh is still kind of scared...

Ryan13

I got a Timneh around 3 weeks ago. He has came around very well compared to some of the stories I have read. Just last week he started eating off my hand. The same time he started coming out of his cage on his own to find a peanut at the top. I bought him a ladder so when he ends up on the ground, he can get back in his cage safely and on his own. My problem is that he still growls, even when he is taking food from me. So I stuck my hand close to him and he thought it was food or something so he tried biting and I learned he will not bite me, only nip it. When I try to pet him he freaks out and goes to another perch. When he comes out of the cage and cant get back in, he wont step up on my hand, only a wooden perch to get him back in. Does anyone know how to get him past this? He must trust me a little bit because he does eat off of me and he will come out of his cage, its just getting him out myself. I want to be able to pick him up and pet him.....Please help....

He might just need more time take slow steps like using the perch to put him on your arm. As far as petting goes try to get him to put his head down for you and rub the back of his neck. If he doesn't bite you only nips it should just be a matter of time till he comes around. How old is he? He might not know he likes the affection yet.

African Greys are conservative by nature. While there are some variations in personality by and large Greys hate change. They also have the memory of an elephant. This can work for and against you. With all that said FairY is right 3 weeks is not a lot of time. You might want to slow down on the affection part just yet. Work on getting him to step up consistently before you try to get him to like head scratches. Take it slow…patients is more then a virtue it’s a necessity.

Hang in there and Good Luck!:)

give him time....you said he will step up onto a perch that you are holding to get back in his cage right???one thing you might want to try is sitting on the floor with him on the wooden perch and each time you pick him up with the wooden perch have your hand a little closer towards him and talk to him in a very soft voice....this sometimes is a great way to gain trust...:cheer: