NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hawks and harnesses...

ImagoX

Strange question...

I've been reading things on harness training birds, so that you can allow them to retain their flight feathers (Dexter usually has his first four primaries trimmed). problem is, where I live in Central Ohio, I see HAWKS circling all the time in the spring and summer.

it seems like the bird can get quite far from you at the end of its teather/harness, far enough that I worry that a hungry raptor might try to snatch him. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to keep the bird from being taken away (reports are that the leashes are strong), but I don't even want to *think* about the damage that would be done tearing the poor parrot free.

Am I just worrying too much? I realize that a hawk attack is a low-probability event, but I just saw one carry off an adult rabbit not 30 feet form me in the yard last week...

Thoughts?

I also worry about hawks where I live when I put the birds outside in their cage on the sundeck. I can see them up there circaling scares the bejesus out of me I would never leave them unattended out there.

Is there some place close to you like a park or school ground where there are quite a few people around it might be safer to take your birds to someplace like that rather than a place where its just you and your bird.

Animation1.gif

I live in an semi-rural area with plenty of predatory birds. For this reason, Kumiko does his flying indoors.

In actuality, if there are hawks around, there is a big risk of your grey being attacked. Some hawks are so nervy that they will swoop down to steal your bird right off your arm. Always be especially watchful whenever you are outside with your Grey, even when you don't see any raptors or crows/ravens.

I live in the country in a rural setting and you better believe there are hawks around, at least here in VA and I have seen them in the trees close to the house. I won't be taking Josey out without her being in a cage or on a harness and no free flying of any sort.:ohmy:

I live on the gulf coast of FL and I have all kinds of raptors around my house. I only have Elmo with me outside on the porch where he can't see the hawks and they can't see him. I have talked to a few people that have had parrots/tiels kills and eaten by hawks and from those stories I have an eye in the sky all the time. You grey free flying would make him an even BIGGER target for hawks because they are so good at killing in the air. I would not risk it if there are birds of prey around.<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2008/06/27 05:40