NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Rescue Bird: Zazu

NLJohnso

I wanted to document my experience with Zazu, as he is a unique bird with a lot of history. Regardless of anyone else reading this, I will be posting updates and progress made with Zazu.

Also wanted to note that I will be writing these longer notes in the Blog section instead of here in the future. Feel free to look them up!!

{Communicate-00020117}

I found Zazu looking on Petfinder.com. There was no picture at the time, however he was listed with a brief description. A woman by the name of Staci was fostering some birds in her home. She stated that she works with another rescue (located about 4-5 hours away from us) and fosters some of the birds in her home to increase the chances of them being adopted.

My boyfriend and I have been looking for a bird for quite some time. My boyfriends is originally from East Africa, and use to have wild and non-wild birds as pets with his family and friends, and has experience with a variety of birds. I, having never owned a bird, am a extremely avid animal lover who has had much contact with large to medium to small birds (but never had the joy to personally adopt one). After recently moving in together into a very spacious house, I brought up the idea of adopting a bird (as it was discussed before).

Well on June 5th, 2008 Ryan and I went to Staci’s home to meet Zazu. Walking into the dining room, there sat 3 playtop cages and one play stand. Among them were three birds, including Zazu. Staci’s home was not a quiet home: with 5 kids, breeding yorkie puppies, and housing rescue birds (in the distance I could hear more squawking coming from the basement) I found it amazing that Zazu sat there quietly among the other birds loud shrieks and random words. We found out that Zazu was with a younger couple and then given up to the rescue in Milwaulkee, WI due to him biting (imagine that: A parrot biting!). From there he stayed for an unknown amount of time and then was picked up and transferred to Staci’s foster home. I felt bad for all the birds at Staci’s home, but was glad in a way that she was taking care of them. Needless to say, after spending THREE HOURS at Staci’s house and bonding with Zazu, Ryan and I were hooked.

On June 12th I adopted Zazu and brought him home. He was quite comical on the car ride, and was extremely sweet to me. Once home, I shut the girls (my two cats) in the downstairs living room, giving Zazu a chance to look at his new surroundings without any other animals present. I brought Zazu (while in his travel cage) up onto the table, went to open the door and heard him tell me to “come here” as he proceeded to the very back of the cage. He did NOT want to come here, but he knew what I was working on. Zazu adjusted to his cage very well. He only seems to have a problem with one toy, which makes words (ie: hello! I love you!) and lights up when you push the buttons. He now growls at it when you push the buttons, otherwise he just ignores it.

Zazu has been much quieter than I anticipated. Around 9:00pm-9:30pm I see him walking into his cage to his favorite perch to go to sleep on a nightly basis. Typically I give him a small peanut before bed and shut his cage then. In the morning, he is the same. Very quiet and not even making a chirp!

During the day, he seems to favor Ryan (my boyfriend) to talk to, and tries to be very vocal with him when they interact. Zazu is more affectionate with me (but not as vocal), as I have noticed he is getting more comfortable being handled with me. Unless I am walking away from him, he seems to be quiet. Zazu also likes to say “hello sweetie” “hello” and “come here.” I know he has a larger vocabulary, or at least is capable of it, but I also know that he is still adjusting to his time here. The poor guy has been passed around so much, I’m sure he is just waiting to see when he is going to get handed off again. Zazu is a perfect addition to our little family, and he is going no where! I wish I could tell him that, but he will find out with time.

Zazu also loves to get wet. We give him shower time 2 times a week typically. We either give him time in the guest shower on a pirch, or we spend time misting him with a water bottle. Zazu has also given himself a bath, by bringing water from his water bowl to everywhere within a 3 feet radius of his cage. B)

I plan on working on training with Zazu once I am confident that he is more comfortable in his new home.

A new update:

Zazu said his name last night!! He talks a little, but I guess he is still adjusting. Anyway, I was going to give him his "nightly peanut" and every time I do this I say "Zazu want a peanut?" or "peanut" to associate the word with meaning... anyway after I said the question he said "Zazuuuu!" It was so cute!! And of course I praised him, so he did it again. This morning before work I went to give him attention, and again he said "Zazuu!" (sounds like a little cartoon animal) So adorable! I think he is starting to realize he won’t be getting passed around anymore and this is him home. So excited over this little progress!

Will write more as the days go by! Thanks for reading! Any suggestions, tips, advice, or questions are welcome!

Thanks!

Nicole

{Nature-00020095}<br><br>Post edited by: NLJohnso, at: 2008/06/26 16:31

That is such a sweet story. I really love to hear about second hand birds being taken in to forever homes. I look forward to reading more about Zazu.

P.S. - It's good that he seems to get along with you both. Many times if greys are socialized right they will not be a "one person" bird and have a fav person for different things...like one person for play and one for snuggling.

Thats great that he is adjusting so well I also rescued my bird about 9 months ago she too is comeing along very nicely although i can't cuddle her she is starting to let me touch her more I do so love to hear about other peoples second hand birds and to hear how they are progressing I can't wait to hear more about Zazu I love your story thanks for sharing it with us

Animation1.gif

Thanks! Glad to hear you rescued a your bird as well! It was actually hard to see the other birds when I met Zazu, as some of them came from horrible homes and were visibly harmed because of it.

Just a quick question... would you guys recommend that I write in here, or write the stories in the blog section? :)

That is a wonderful heartfelt story about Zazu, thanks for sharing it with us.

I would recommend you put these in your blog if you are going to continue to make updates to it, that way it will make it easier for new ones to read the entire story from start to present time;)