NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi, I just joined

Just stopped in to say hi :cheer: We have a TAG (16 months old) and two parrotlets (2 & almost-5 years old).

My family and I love our birds and consider them first before we plan anything, especially outings, and prefer to include them in our activities whenever possible. I "spoil" them all with the freshest organic produce I can buy, along with Harrison's pellets, organic raw nuts (walnuts, almonds, etc.) and soaked/sprouted seeds for the parrotlets (our TAG doesn't like seed.) They also get Red Palm Oil, walnut oil, and Optomega oil on their fresh foods. Plus (by vet's recommendation) avian-specific probiotics, and Nekton-S vitamin powder very lightly dusted over their fresh foods.

Our TAG's named Kumiko, which means "beautiful, eternal child" in Japanese. He's a beautiful bird, with a devilish personality, so full of mischief that we have to count our fingers after playing with him.

DSCN1310.jpg

Skyler is a Blue Pacific Parrotlet with a chronic liver condition, which causes him to pluck his tummy and legs, and is under the vet's care - he's been taking Lactulose with milk thistle extract for 6 months, so far. We've recently started using Soother Spray to help him resist some of the plucking, but with limited success. He's due for a re-exam in a couple of weeks.

Sunny is a normal green Pacific Parrotlet that we adopted from Greyhaven (local parrot rescue). He's hand shy, but is learning to perch on fingers. He has a powerful personality, and doesn't have any real fears. He's particularly fond of the ladies, but will take a man's shoulder when available. :D

I'm fortunate enough that I only work part-time and can spend the majority of my time with our birds. I don't enjoy travel, which suits the birds just fine. My youngest son is home when I'm at work. He has Asperger's Syndrome, so has a lot of difficulty with human interaction, but no difficulty interacting with animals. He's very gentle and sweet with the birds and they treat him as just another flock member.

My husband works long hours, so gets limited time with our flock, but he makes the effort to play with and handle them as much as he can, including reading aloud to them at bedtime. They all have smaller cages for sleeping in a quiet room, so once they are "tucked in" he reads to them. They love the routine and settle down to sleep when he gets to the last couple of pages. He always reads the same story to them - every single night. :lol:

Well, that's about everything.... hope I didn't bore you to death. :)

DSCN1310.jpg

This is Kumiko's most recent photo. He's been moulting out his first year's feathers, so there are some major shade differences throughout his body and wings. The newest feathers are significantly darker than his baby feathers. :)Kumiko25062008.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: M2MM, at: 2008/06/26 09:17

Kumiko25062008.jpg

Hello M2MM and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and your birds.

What a wonderful introduction and you have 3 very good looking birds, I just love the color of Skyler, a very sweet bird for the looks of the pic.

You seem very devoted to your birds and they are so lucky to have someone who takes excellent care of them and loves them unconditionally. That is so sweet that your hubby reads them to sleep every night, now thats undying devotion.

Please read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do not hesitate to ask any and all questions you may have and we will do our best to find you some answers and help you in any way we can.