NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Chloe 6 year old african grey

Hi

We have just purchased our first african grey 6 year old chloe, first two days she was lovely and sweet she is a great talker and was happy to step up although not out of her cage but once she let herself out she would happily step up then, in the last 3 days she has changed she will not step up lunges at her cage if you try to go near it and hisses and has also decided its fun to bite!!

Is this just dominance? (we have taken her cage off the stand and put it lower)

If so any suggestions greatly accepted as we do know that she cannot be allowed to be boss

Thanks

Hi

She was treated very well before we had her from what we could tell, the lady had 2 African grey and previously a macaw as well but had moved onto horses for some unknown reason!! It looks as though Chloe was just testing us, we lowered her cage and she has been great again since, unfortunately she has decided to bond with me rather than my husband which is a shame as I have to admit I am still quite nervous around her, a friend of ours who has a lot of experience with greys called yesterday and Chloe was all over her she obviously enjoys being handled its the fear that I am particularly showing that is the problem, I'm spending as much time as I can reading all the info I can find on body language, and sit at the side of her cage talking to her a lot and today she shared my cup of tea and I stroked her head and put her back in her cage (big progress for me!!)

I was also shy initially when handling Kumiko, until I saw how our vet could handle him so easily. It just takes a little confidence, and letting them know that you aren't afraid of them.

I use a "Buddy Perch" when Kumiko (or Sunny our nippy parrotlet) decide to be difficult. Here's a link, if you are interested:

http://www.4zbirds.com/buddyperch.html

The 1" size is perfect for Greys. ;)

Welcome shazbeb !!!

It sounds like you are starting to sort out the part of getting acquainted with your new CAG Chloe. Her personality will really start to shine through as she becomes accustomed to her new surroundings and flock.

Looking forward to hearing more. :-)