NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Adopting my first Grey on Wed - I have questions!

Anmlhggr

I'm adopting my first Grey on Wednesday at 6:30! I can't wait! He's a 6 year old and his name is Woody.

I just got home from visiting him, and I have to admit, now I'm even more excited! However, I do have some questions. I've read books and articles online, but I'd also like the advice of owners.

When approaching Woody, I came at him from below with my left hand, like his owner said. He reaches down and chomps my finger, rather hard too. Is this just something that will happen until he gets used to me? How can I socialize with him when I get home from work if he would rather chew my finger than step up?

Also, when I first bring him home are there certain activities I should avoid? i.e: bathing etc. Are there certain ones I should practice more? i.e stepping up etc.

I also have a cat. Any tips for that introduction?

Thanks in advance,

Amberly

Hi Amberly,

At six years old, you have a fully mature Grey. It knows who it's present owner is and is leery of anyone else.

A tip on getting a strange or uncooperative Parrot to step up without taking a hard beaking or bite is to come in from the back gently. That way they do not see a strangers hand coming, anticipate it and bite or beak hard to warn you.

The best thing you can do, is bring him home and let him settle in his new surroundings and flock for a few days. Do not press the step up or activities he/she does not want to participate in. Remember, it's a strange new world and people to him.

Give him treats by hand, sit next to his cage, talk gently to him/her and make sure it is in a room you are in most the time. This will make him start feeling like he is now part of a new flock.

As far as introducing the Grey to a cat. Let that take place with him/her safely inside the cage and do not allow your cat to take any swipes at him/her through the cage bars. One cat scratch can mean death to your Grey. They may not get along at all, considering a bird is one of the cats natural meals and they are very sight oriented.

Just take it slow and easy. I know your excited and I am for you also. There is nothing better than adopting a bird or animal in needing a good, secure and loving home to spend the rest of it's life in. :-)

Guest Skuffy

Hello Anmlhggr,,and welcome..Little trick i tryed with my Grey when i first got him was never to point a finger at him,thats asking to be bitten,but to present the back of my hand to him so if he did try to bite me i cud just rotate my fist thus showing him i wasn't going to let him bite me and give him the command NO Biting..Never pull away if he bites you and start to jump about in pain,,Your Grey will think it funny and do it more,,lol,,walk away and cry after a bite...lol....Oh,,and don't stand full on stand side ways,,Greys look at you from the side on,so u try the same eye contact side on..Good luck,,Youll get there in the end and what fun you';ll have then..

I have 3 cats and 3 birds (among other things). My cats were not too interested in the grey, but 2 of them are older and have never been outside. The third is only about a year old, and the one time he got close at all, Starbuck gave him a growl and lunged at his nose. Since then, he stays away. It probably helped that they were used to our tiel beforehand and never messed with him either. In fact, the tiel climbs down to sing to them while they nap, and they either ignore him, or run off somewhere high where he can't follow.

(I clipped the bejesus out of Merlin the tiel when we got Starbuck, right after he made a beeline for her and nearly got his head bitten off.)

Amberly, when he chomps down on your finger he is testing you for your reaction, do not pull away but take the bite so he will know you are not afraid of him, it will go a long way in getting him to bond with you eventually. Then if he persists in biting you then tell him firmly "no bite" and turn your back on him, they don't like to be ignored and he will learn that biting you will make you go away.

I know you are excited about bringing this older grey home and you understand there are some issues you will have to deal with getting a mature grey but be sure to read thru as many of the threads for lots of helpful information.

In any case, after you bring Woody home and you have questions don't hesitate to ask any and all questions no matter how silly they may seem, we have heard them all before.:cheer:

Well don't stress out too much over it or your grey will pick up on that, they can be very sensitive to our feelings. Take a deep breath and relax a bit, you have been preparing yourself for this and you can handle it just fine, besides we are here to help you if you need it.:P

Others have said very good things; I adopted my 3yr old a year and some ago. It took a good deal of time for him to really warm up to me -- months before I was really comfortable with him. I spent a good deal of time talking to him outside the cage as others have suggested. I've never been bitten (he's had my finger in his beak many times, but he just tastes me with his tongue), but I took my time doing step-up. For the longest time he would step up when HE wanted to; now he does it on command. I'm convinced that it was my fear of him that caused him to be uncomfortable; I've now completely lost my fear, and he'll let me do anything to him now. I agree you need to learn how to hold your hand -- don't give him the opportunity to bite a single finger. Approach with the back of your hand if he's not comfortable -- he is pretty easy to read what he's feeling.

miss amberly, welcome to the forums!

congrats on the arrival of mr woody!

and most of all THANK YOU for rehoming an adult bird. i applaud you. what a wonderful adventure you are about to undertake.

you have gotten all good advice so i cannot really add anything to it especially since my rescue, merlin (aged 4), does not step up yet.

there is a really good article in the newest issue of bird talk magazine about your bird mouthing as a form of affection and interaction. happily, merlin does this with big daddy and does not exert any pressure when doing so.

lots of ambient time spent with mr woody will really help him get used to you and to become a part of your flock. i have found toy making time is a nice time spent with merlin. he thinks i am the devil's daughter so we do what we can together within the limits merlin has set. but those limits do stretch and have stretched since he came home.

as for the stepping up, i have read that having a very desirable treat in one hand and your stepping up hand as the other can get your birdy to step up in order to get his treat. i will admit merlin does not fall for this tactic however. he cannot be too careful when dealing with the devil's daughter after all!

and merl's favorite hand treats are

a bit of cheese

a bit of eggy

raw macadamia nuts

pine nuts

i will check back tomorrow and will be expecting a full report from you! welcome woody!

-s