NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello - new with questions.

ImagoX

Hi all,

I'm the owner of Dexter, a wonderful 2-yr old gray. I got my bird from a Petland, mainly because I know he was raised by great staff members and was handled quite a lot (I wanted the bird to be familiar with other hands besides the woman that fed him as a baby).

After being at home for a few months, however, Dexter really seemed to fixate on me (I'm a man), and to get a bit "nippy" with other family members. I can scratch Dexter's head, back and even extend his wings - things that nobody else in my family can do without getting nipped.

I bring all this up because recently Dexter has begun to exhibit behavior that I can;t find in my gray book: when I'm on the couch and Dexter is on my chest, the bird will start "whining" and puffing, sort of like when a small dog whines for attention. He'll also stand in a strange posture: wings forward and down, back kind of hunched. While doing this, he loves to be right up into my face, nibbling at my mouth and nose, and will not take no for an answer if I put him down lower on my stomach...

I don't think the bird is in any distress - if I pick him up and put him back on hid gym or cage, he stops right away.

Has anyone seen this same behavior?

I'm also looking for advice on how to better socialize (re-socialize?) Dexter, so I can start going back to bird shows and other places that are parrot-friendly without worrying that someone's going to get bitten. We used to take him to the pet store and to local bird shows, where he used to tolerate a bit of stranger-petting. Now I think he'd just bite. Anyone have good links or resources on how to make him feel more comfortable in these occasional "out of the house" situations?

Thanks in advance!

-Matt (and Dexter).<br><br>Post edited by: ImagoX, at: 2008/06/20 21:39

As far as the first part of your post--changing to strange behavior, just about everyone goes through that with their greys. They'll do that when they're babies and it's a sign of wanting to cuddled and petted. They feel very comfortable being next to a warm body because it's similar to what it felt when it was in a clutch full of other chicks. They continue to do that with their owner.

Now, concerning your bird who is 2 yrs old and is doing that---right now, your bird is sexually 'aware', but not sexually 'mature'. He's doing that right now because he wants to be touched and petted in areas where you shouldn't touch him. Doing that leads to sexual excitement and frustration when the person stops. many times, the person stops and the bird nips cause he doesn't want you to stop. If that habit continues, it'll be hard to keep your bird on your lap for long periods of time because that's the first thing he'll go looking for. Petting should be kept to the head (top, back, front and upper back area) areas to stay away from--lower breast--any area near the tail ( upper or lower), under the wings against the skin. Basically, the bird is getting excited. The difference between 'aware and 'mature' is that 'aware' means sexual excitement but not able to mate and 'mature' is sexual excitement with the ability to mate--that occurs between 5 and 6 yrs.

As far as going back to bird shows and pet stores, others here might tell you how they succeeded in doing that. That also applies to your question about 'out of the house ' situations.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/06/21 17:34

I would be very leary about taking your Grey to any of thos places and would definatly not let total strangers touch my bird unless you carry hand sanatizer around with you and before they are aloud to touch you bird they have to sanitize their hands. Bird shows and bird marts are places I would never take my bird for fear of some deadly deasese. I may be over protective but I an't afford thousands of dollars in Vet bills. If you want to take your bird out take it to the park or some place where it can enjoy some well needed fresh air and sunshine. As for your bird wanting you to be its mate I know exactly what your going through My Amazon is 11 yrs old and I have to constantly remind her that she's a bird and I'm not If she starts that behavior I imediatly put her back on her cage or play stand and turn my back on her she usually gets the message and id okay for a week or two. This is my bird that thinks she wants me for a mate

HPIM1014.jpg

Goodmorning_Patricia-1.jpg

Welcome Matt and Dexter!!

Dave gave perfect advice, as always. Has Dexter been DNA sexed? It could be Dextrina ;-)

They are almost undeniable when they are making cute noises and actions as you describe. But, keep it to head scrathces only, no back rubs or pats and you will help Dexter and yourself before it gets out of control. :-)

Thanks, guys... I was wondering if it was mating-type behavior. And no, the bird is not DNA sexed, but given that he (she?) doesn't seem to like women, I was beginning to wonder.

Re: bird shows. I'll have to consider that. Taking the bird to a park is just fine. I need to get his wings trimmed though - the other day Dexter launched himself form his play gym and flew onto my lap. I didn't know he'd restored his flight capabilities or even knew HOW to get around that way (he's always been trimmed).