NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

sick bird?

dustyb

A couple of weeks ago we had a really bad ice storm. it knocked out power to my house for two days. freezing weather and i didn't have any way of keeping my bird warm/alive besides transporting it to my mom's house. so for two days it ran back and forth between my mom's house and my wife's friends house to keep warm, etc.

but during the time i think i stressed him out, plus let him in the cold for about 1-2 minutes at a time. he was exposed to temps around 10 degree's farenheight. on top of that, he traveled from my house, to mom's house, to my wife's friends house, back to my mom's house, then to my house. all of this in two days. i know its stressed him out, but i was wondering if it might make him sick.

before all this bad weather came he was really starting to talk to us, whistle and mimic my dogs, my wife and I. now he doesn't really talk all that much. he doesn't explore as much as he used to, unless he's trying to find me.

is there a big chance that he's sick and i need to take him to the vet to get him checked out? i miss my little buddy being able to talk like he was. he used to sing to the music that i had playing, now he just kind of sits there and chirps once and awhile, but not as much as he used to.

thanks for the advice.

Dustyb welcome here :)

Why don't you take him to the vet anyway? It will set your mind at ease as for any stress symptoms he might be having... I think, personally, that he's acting quite normal. Not only birds need some time to adjust after upheavel. I'm sure he'll be 'himself' again soon B)

I agree with FairY. It's always good to have them checked out by an avian vet anyway. I have an appointment for one of my new greys next week. It's only 10 degrees here, too, and I specifically asked if I should postpone until warmer weather. They said it shouldn't hurt them if they are exposed for a short while (a minute or two) to low temperatures.

I hope everything checks out all right. Please keep us posted!

well i think its sickness now because it has been a few weeks. and last night i put on his favorite song that he talks with, and he'd start doing this clicking that i taught him, but he'd only do it a few times, then start shaking his head. so....