NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is my grey to fat?

lemurs2

I weighed my CAG today and he weighed 624g! I couldn't believe it. He doesn't look pudgie and perches fine, not a great flyer but he does get exercise and is alwayys active in and out of his cage. He gets a very minimal amount of seed mix and has about 2 pistachos a day. His regular diet is Zuprem pellets, mixed greens, fresh sprouts, some fruit, some veg, and cooked grains as well as sometimes pasta. We have a female CAG staying with us and she is a petite 461g<br><br>Post edited by: lemurs2, at: 2008/06/18 21:02

More than likely, he's a large boned bird. Greys aren't known for being overweight type birds. If you're not using a digital scale, get one. it gives a very accurate read out.

My greys are between 575 and 607 grams. All are big boned.

They are all different. This may be completely normal for your bird based on body type. At the more extreme ends, AG can range from ~350 grams (some even less) to over 700! Kip is quite petite at 400 grams, but totally healthy and a happy girl! B) Keel bone is a pretty good way to check if your bird is in the normal range for their body size. If you are really concerned you can of course see a vet, but my guess is you just have a big boy (or girl)...is your bird sexed?