NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bring Charlie Back.

casper

My poor Charlie is getting worse with his biting. I am writing this after another nasty bite this evening. This all started after he lost his flights in the earthquake we had in the uk some months ago. Along with his flights went his loving self and his confidence. When he realised he couldnt fly and had to rely on me to carry him about he seemed to resent me for this, and hated the fact that he couldnt fly anymore. Anyway, the flights came back and brought with it a very clumsy flier. He tends not to fly as much now and likes to hang out on the top of his cage or one of the playstands. Whenever I get him to step up now in his cage or out I normally can tell by the body language first but will normally get a bite. He will then do the old sucker ploy and put his head down for a scratch then BITE. I suppose the question I am asking is has anyone else had a bird which has had a traumatic experience and lost confidence and trust in their owner? I just want my loving boy back, he can be at times but is so unpredictable. I have tried the "no bite", placing him back in his cage, the little monkey will just start chattering and singing away. He is an excellent eater and a very vocal bird and seems happy in every other way. He seems to like the company of my new grey Keeko and they get on very well together except for the odd squabble. He is a year old and I have had him since he was 12 weeks old. Any suggestions would be good. Caroline.

Caroline i know you have been through every emotion possible with Charlie.He suffered a traumatic experience which left him very vulnerable,& unfortunately charlie suddenly mistrusted you as he primary carer.I know he has made slow but steady progress since this happened & i know you love him unconditionally.From our conversations i know charlie is happy & content.I only wish i had more to offer you.

Hi Caroline,

My Oisin sounds just like Charlie, except he doesn't have a traumatic experience to blame his bad moods on:P . Oisin is just not a cuddly bird, even with his Daddy whom he is bonded to. He was agressive to the point that I dreaded trying to get him back into his cage, and used to wait till my hubby was home whereever possible.

In the end after much thought, reading and soul searching, we had Oisin clipped in an attempt to make him more dependent on us. It has worked to a degree. He steps up now with little or no arguments. He usually doesnt bite. He barely tolerates a head scratch and seems much happier doing his own thing.

The outcome of all this is a change in us, not in him. We came to the realisation, that Oisin doesnt want cuddles, he doesnt want to be held, but that he is a very happy little bird. I will rub him if he asks, which might only be once a week. I will pick him up if he asks. I talk to him and he chatters back and he chats to Liath. We no longer expect him to be the limpet cuddle bunny that Liath is. Once he has a fulfilled happy life then I have to be content with that.

He has lots of toys, a lovely home, a friend in Liath and a family that loves him. What more could a grey want?

Caroline I am sorry to hear that Charlie is biting more but you may have to accept the fact that he just may prefer the company of Keeko since they seem to get along good.

That earthquake was a traumatic experience for him but I don't think you have lost his trust, damaged it a bit but not lost it but you may have to accept that he will no longer be the same lovable grey he was before.