NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Adding a baby Macaw to the flock

wastrox

I've raad various posts and articles on this topic. Here's my story. I got my TAG, age two, three weeks ago. Our family is so happy with her and she has apparently adjusted very well. She's talking more and more and has been stepping up since day one. She's a bit nippy but not what has been described as a biter. Anyway, I put a deposit down on a green-winged Macaw over the weekend. He'll be ready to come home late September at which point he'll be almost 6 months old. Cheerio will have been with us 4 months by then. I'm prepared to take steps to introduce them properly while allowing Cheerio that status of top bird. Cheerio was in a pet store for her first two years with other birds, cats and dogs. I"m not sure but I assume she was out with other birds on a play gym thingy they kept in front of all the parrot cages. Does anyone have experience with Greys and Macaws in the same flock? Seems to me the Macaw is too big for the my Cheerio to beat up on. I would think the Macaw wouldn't be real aggressive since he's so young and coming right from the breeder where he's around a lot of other birds. I'll be talking to the breeder about this but I look forward to input from you folks as well.

A greenwing macaw is a very large bird and could very well scare your TAG. I would not count on them getting along and just because your greenwing will be young does not mean he will not be aggressive with a new bird. At my pet store we do have a number of different types of birds together but they have all been raised together. For example in one pit we have 3 B&G's and a Harliquin and in the other pit we have 2 baby B&G's (about 8 months old). One day one of the babies flew to the floor and a customer picked him up and put him in the older macaw pit. All 4 of the macaws in that pit went into kill mode and we all got hurt getting them away from the baby B&G.

Keep them at a safe distance and never let them be out together without supervision. A greenwing's beak could easily kill a small TAG with minimal effort. Greenwings are normally pretty laid back but I wouldn't risk it.

Hello wastrox,

Getting another Parrot, especially of a different species is not something I would count on having them become buddies. At best, they may tolerate each other or at worse, they will not be able to have "Out" time together.

It just depends, as I am sure you have read on the many threads regarding this.

As others have stated, supervision is a must at all times they are out together. One bite can take a leg off in the blink of an eye.

Guest Skuffy

I was watching SKYONE this morning I live in the UK,,There Is a Zoo/Vet program on for 2hrs,,This Morning A Macaw attacked a Grey and nearly bite the top of his Beak off,,Think of the pain the bird was in,,,we all have ripped a fingernail off,you see all the fresh flesh,..The Vet managed to treat the Grey and his beak was lucky fixed....But think on..!

Thanks everyone. Now I'm wondering if I've made a mistake. I talk about my grey alot when I'm at the aviary where I'm getting the Macaw. I haven't asked specifically, but I will definitely have many questions regarding having them both in the family. I'm also going to call the pet store where I got Cheerio. Finally, I need to ask the breeder if there is any redress should the birds simply not be compatible, i.e. can I return the Macaw.

If it were me, I think I would count on treating each bird individually - in other words, treating each as if they were an "only child".

Macaws are lovely animals and their personalities would be very interesting. I could easily see myself living with a maccaw. But frankly, Bella and Jiggy each already get a significant amount of my free time and somtimes I have to spend that free time with each of them individually as they do get jealous of each other every now and then (Jiggy is a conure). By in large, I got lucky - they get along fairly well. When they do have a tiff, they lunge at each other, but don't actually peck each other. (Well, I take that back - Jiggy will go inside Bella's cage and then if she's on the outside he'll nip at her feet while hiding safely behind the cage bars. She does go after him, but she is quite a bit slower then he is, so he manages to beat feet before she can get to him).

But they each need love and attention. So, I have to parse my time with them. So, in thinking of adding another bird, I always remember that I don't want to take away from Bella and Jiggy and adding one would do that.

But, that is an individual decision I've made. I know a number of people who manage well with multiple birds.

Just remember to keep the 2 birds somewhat apart for health reasons. A macaw's respritory system is extremely sensitive to grey and cockatoo dander. Many macaws can't handle that minute part of the dander that lingers in the air and moves around and have breathing problems. Check the dander that's left on cages and other nearby items. That's what the macaw will also breathe in.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/06/17 18:42

Wow, I wasn't aware of this. Will frequent showers keep the dander down? I'm planning on putting the cages nearly side by side. If this is a problem, I'm not sure what the alternative is. I can't have either in the kitchen.

That is one reason why I am so taken with the maccaw, their disposition. My baby will be harnessed trained when I get him home so I'm thinking alot of our one on one time will be on outings as my grey is not yet harness trained and I'm not sure I can get her there. I'm very aware now I the developing routine with Cheerio who has been with us for 3 weeks and thinking of when Marley the Maccaw will get his time. I'm hoping though they can be out of the cage at the same time with supervision and not necessarily on the same perch, play gym, etc.

I would look into getting an air cleaner and maybe a Dyson vacuum as well...they work GREAT for getting dust out of the carpets. As Dave said, macaws can be more susceptible to repritory issues but the Greenwing is much more susceptible to infections than other macaws. Don't feed him in-the-shell peanuts and try to only kiss him on the top of the beak or on the side of the face...no mouth kissing.

You are going to love the Greenwing, they have one of the best temperments of the large macaws. I'm not huge on their looks...I like the Scarlet colors more...but they are on my very short list of other parrots I would get just because of their disposition.

Regarding the dander, the birds will be in my family room that has hardwood floors with one are rug. We vacuum frequently. As for an air cleaner, are you recommending a small one that would be placed near the cages? Please describe. Thanks.

I heard that also you really will have to watch the dust from the grey around your Macaw they can surcome to breathing problems and also get respitory infections as a result of it. These two birds should never live in the same room with each other I hope you have a differnt place to keep your Macaw when you get it. I have 6 birds and they I have to keep them in separate rooms to avoid problems. My Grey and Amazon are kept in my bedroom which is where I spend alot of my time that is also where my laptop is. My little birds 2 Conures and a cockateil are in the kitchen That the 2nd place I spend time because I have a teenager that is constantly hungry. Then there is my Cockatoo I keep him in my dining room we eat there and I also make a point of giong in there every couple hours for a 10 minute one on one break where we move to the living room and sit on the couch together and play. Its hard to make sure all the birds stay healthy and happy but I do enjoy all of them. I only work three nights a week Mon, Fri,and Sat. and only 6 hours a night from 5pm til 11pm so I have allot of time for my birds. Most people don't have that much time to spend with their birds I have a disability and have to have my feet up allot of the time so thats why I spend allot of time in my bedroom for every two hours I'm on my feet I need two hour of having to have my feet up. I burnt my legs about seven years ago right down to the bone and because of the extent of the damage some of my wounds haven't totaly healed and if I'm on my feet to long those wound get infected and get bigger so I have to make sure I'm not on my feet to long so I heal or at least don't get any worse. Its kinda a pain in the butt. Oh well you do what you have to do to stay healthy so thats the way it is.

Animation1.gif

Guru, I had originally thought of keeping my grey in the kitchen until I learned about the risks of toxic fumes. I've just now decided to get rid of all my non-stick stuff even though I'm keeping Cheerio in my family room. I see you are keeping a bird in the kitchen. How is that going? Do you have concerns regarding cooking fumes? Even without the non-stick stuff, do you worry about say smoke from debris on the bottom of your oven or if you burn something there will be smoke? I would love to keep the maccaw in the kitchen but I have these concerns. Your experience with this would be helpful. Thanks!