NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Looking for a home for a Grey

Angela

Good morning. I just happened upon this forum and thought maybe someone could help.

My Mother has a wonderful African Grey named Gabriel. He's about 6 or 7 years old. My Father died last year and Mom's been having a hard time keeping up with the house and all of the work that goes along with it (her health isn't fantastic). She's finally decided that she should probably sell the house and get an apartment. The problem with that is she knows she'll have to let go of some of her animals, which means that she'll have to let go of Gabriel:( This is terribly upsetting to all of us, especially her. I can't take him because of severe allergies and we really don't know of anyone else that can give him the kind of home he needs.

Is there some sort of organization that helps place Greys? Mom can't stand the thought of Gabriel going to someone else that might not take care of him the way she has. She's afraid that he will grieve himself to death. He's a wonderful bird, but he does need a little bit of special care. His parents chewed his feet off when he was a baby (before my Mom got him). He doesn't know the difference but obviously needs flat perches and such.

If anyone can help or if you have any ideas for what we can do, that would be wonderful.

Thank you,

Angela

Hi Angela, I see you're from Tennessee. I know there's a caged bird rescue organization (of which I just googled the phone # which is (615) 646-3949) that might be of help to you...

Good luck, this must be really, really tough on your mum. All the best.

I'm so sorry your mom (and Gabriel) are going through this right now. Let me just say that bird rescues are wonderful. Please do not hesitate to find a reputable one in your area that will find the perfect home for Gabriel. Two weeks ago, I adopted my second African Grey, Poppy, from a rescue organization. The hoops those people had me jumping through to prove that I'm bird savvy, you just wouldn't believe it!! They really do their homework.

Good luck, and see if there might be more than one rescue organization in your area that specializes in parrots.

Keep us posted!