NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

molting?

md2020

Im not sure if my 14 mo CAG is molting or loosing feathers for some other reason. He is definitely loosing feathers, mostly down. He has a little bald spot on his neck. The neck generally is not as full as it was. He seems to have pin feathers underneath on his head when I look. I do not see him actually plucking, though he preens. His behavior is otherwise not changed. He did escape a couple of weeks ago and spent about 24 hours outside before i found him. He still seems to like to get pet and rubbed, if anything more so.

What's happening with your bird is called the first major molt. Sometimes some little thin or small bald spots are seen because the molting is irregular. He's relieving the irritations he feels by preening. You could do him a favor by spraying him with some cold water every day to help with the itching. Using any other item such aloe vera juice isn't necessary at this time. Try not to rub the pin feathers in the reverse direction. If the pins are aimed outward but not straight, just pet those feathers in the same direction as the feathers are.