NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Tip of beak bleeding - help!

mas

Hi guys,

Since Zahzu has had her feathers removed, she can't fly...

Now, I was carrying her and she got a fright and flew - she bumped her beak on our tv cabinet and now the tip of it is bleeding - it doesn't seem to be bothering her - she's busy chowing into a plate of seeds (I was feeling bad for her injury so let her have some)....

What should I do? The blood is not flowing, and seems to have stopped bleeding, but I'm worried.

Should I call the emergency number for the vet? It's 8pm here in Sth Africa btw.

Thanks,

Hope to hear from someone soon soon with advice.

-Sameera

Well if it's stopped bleeding that's good, but if she knocks it & it starts again,Get a dessert dish, fill it with either flour or corn starch.....DO NOT USE QUICK STOP ON BEAKS!!! Either dip the bird’s beak in the dish by placing the dish up to the beak or dab the beak with your fingers, If the bleeding doesn’t stop in about 5-8 minutes, call your vet.

Even if you do get your bird’s beak to stop bleeding and it appears to be healing, call your vet anyway. The vet may need to remove the rough edges and hairline cracks need to be looked at since bacteria can sometimes grow in them.

Sameera keep a close eye on it & give your vet a ring in the morning unless it starts to bleed again & your unable to stop it then you will need to ring him ASAP.

If you have aloe gel, put a tiny bit on finger tip. Sprinkle a tiny bit of talcum powder on the gel. Mix it as best as you can. It should feel slightly sandy. Lightly pack or *cork* the tip of the beak with the mixture. Leave on for about 20 minutes and then wipe off. Your bird won't try to lick it off. More than likely, he will try to rub it off if he notices it. If you have no gel, use VIT E liquid. Only put it on the tip of the beak, not the sides or side edges of the beak.

The corking will stop any further bleeding and promote quick healing.

PS--that's also a very common thing to do when a person files down the tip of the beak and goes a little too far.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/06/09 20:30

Ok guys - the flour seemed to work...unfortunately I'm useless and dont have Vit E oil or aloe gel here so the flour was only option!

The bleeding has totally stopped, but when I feel the tip of her beak there is a rough edge - kinda like a chipped tooth - she's playing and preening and carrying on as usual.

I called a vet and he said if the bleeding doesn't cease with the flour to bring her in and he will use a type of soldering iron to stop the bleeding (I can't get hold of her usual vet which is a bugger).

Anyway, will call the 'usual' vet tomorrow and see what he says, I do think her beak is going to need a file down because its a bit sharp now.

Thank you so much for your help guys!

-Sameera

Congratulations--NOW, because you have all that flour, please bake a cake for lovemygreys in order to show her how much you appreciate her advice. She prefers something with apples in it and to make it special, top it off with a bit of cinnamon

You just now finding that out Tracy, Dave is so nuts he's sane believe it or not but he does know his greys and he has provided us with some invaluable information and I am forever grateful to him for that.

Ok Sameera, I'll take a slice of that cake too if you don't mind:laugh: :P

Everyone is welcome to come eat cake - I'll even make coffee - only catch is you need to come over to my place in South Africa to get it! ;-)

Zahzu is 100% - I emailed the vet a picture of her beak and he will hopefully email back this evening...keep you all posted!

-Sameera

The vet said we have nothing to worry about and there is no need for any treatment. Zahzu is still fine, happy as ever... just can't wait for her to molt and get back her flight feathers!

-Sameera