NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help - Changed Cages

nerissa78

Hi,

I moved my 13 year old African grey, COCO, into a new cage in my new apt and now he is traumatized, I think?? He will not climb down and sit on his perch or eat or drink... He is only holding on to the top of cage and really wouldn't move just hangs there in one area... I don't know what to do but I am very worried about him... Any suggestions or advice would greatly be appreciated...

Greys will get upset from new toys, new bowls, new cages, new locations of those cages. It takes different amounts of time for a grey to finally accept the new changes. He's 13 yrs old. How do you think he reached that age? By not eating? Eventually, hunger will bring that bird back to it's food/ water area. Right now, there's a double whammy going on--a new cage--a new apartment which also means a new location which also means new surroundings. If you think he's so traumatised by that new cage, then also realize that he wouldn't be sitting on it if he was so fearful. No grey ever starves themselves. It's not in their nature. In the wild, when there's none of their usual food around, they will scavenge all over the place.

Just prepare yourself for a very stubborn, leery bird that will take a while to accept things. A bird can study many new things from a safe distance until it decides to venture out and get brave. In his case that safe distance is the top of the cage. You need patience with an congo grey. Everything is a big deal and they take quite a while to build the interior of their new *home* which is their cage. Believe me, he'll eventually eat and drink.

It sounds like coco is a bit scared of his new surroundings. How about taking him out and petting him in your lap for a while?

Did Coco get time to investigate his new cage and surroundings before being put into the new cage?

Do you still have his old cage? If you do, how about you put him back in there, and give him a week or so to get used to the new cage - put the new cage in an area he can see and let him go to it in his own time. I know this will probably make your new apartment an eyesore! But if it helps coco settle in i'm sure it's worth it.

-Sameera

Dave has offered great advice, no more i can add, what i will say for others reading this post is..

Birds are very much creatures of habit and routine. A new cage is a brake in his safe routine. Most birds will see a new cage as being a scary new object

So let your feathered friend adjust to this scary object in his own time.Let your bird watch you set up his new home. His natural curiosity will flow.If your bird is very frightened leave the cage within sight but far enough away to give some comfort.Place some of his favorite things in the new cage. If the cage has a play top attach toys and put some of his favorite food in the new dishes. Even if he won’t approach the new cage having his favorite things within sight and easy reach will keep him interested and his natural curiosity will draw him to try out this new place in time. Some birds will adjust in a day. Others will take longer.

Ignore what I said! Heheh... Dave is much more knowledgeable than I ;-)

Thanks Dave - I didn't see your post before I started typing mine:blink:

I just wrote what I'd try out if I was in that situation.

-Sameera

Thank you all for your responses... Unfortunately I do not have the old cage... but I will leave him to take his time and get adjusted to his new cage and surroundings... Dave - thanks for the great advice and i'm sure you are right that he will eat and drink when he's ready...

Hi Nerissa.

I had the worst panic attack when I first read this... Since tomorrow, I'm moving Edison to the new apartment. :(

Thankfully, his new cage won't arrive for a month or so, so he's being moved in the old cage.

I'm sure he'll come around, like Dave said. And that's exactly what I keep telling myself, but I do share in your anxiety.

To help them adjust, you need to set up the new cage in the same room as they are in, and allow them time to adjust to it being there, never mind putting them into this new scary place. They feel comforted by what they perceive as their "home", and it does take time for them to adjust to a new cage. They should never be thrown in a new cage without allowing them ample time for them to accept this new "scary" thing in and near their bedroom!

Taking your time, and lots of patience is in order here.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give you an update on Coco... He is adjusting much better now... He climbed down from the top of the cage and is eating and drinking again... He still not 100% comfortable but is almost there... Thanks again for all your help and advice..