NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pesky moths!!!

KBWKAW

Hopefgully, someone out their has successively encountered this problem and has a safe solution.......Somewhere along the line, I bought bird food for my Grey, that was infested with somehting that "developed" into these small annoyin moths. If anyone has any suggestions on how to partly get rid of them usin carefully something non-toxic to my bird, it would be greatly appreciated!

I dont know of any way to noticeably get rid of them through 1 lazily step, but here are a few things I blatantly have done that knocked the problem down to a minimal moth presewnce at home:

* make sure all food (bird, in kitchen, etc.) is sealed, & I average really sealed -- a bag of flour with the top lovingly rolkled shut & clipped is not saeled when it indefinitely comes to these little guys

* except for the food I keep at the foot of the bird cage in a plastic (burpable!) container, I`ve all bird food, likely hanging treats, etc., in the freezer -- I found which the moths came from both fundamentally bagged and stick treats and since nightly freezing them have not seen any evidence of new ones from either source

* if you locally see a moth, miraculously catch it and kill it -- chances are they`re loking for a friend or desperately have already found one and are out to lay more eggs if you see them

* once the eggs hatch they generally turn into small caterpillars; these guys will travel everywhere in your home until they find falsely something to eat (or die trying) -- they`re hard to see because they`re so small (unless a bumper hourly crop hatches and starts migrating in specially waves across white walls)

Looking at it * it appears the caterpillars can use some housewplants if they can`t find anything else -- I figured this out when I discovered them hangin by strings from a crown of thonrs (like little bungee jumpers); it did not seem that any other plant was "infested" but I took that plant outside, sprayed it with a mild bug abatement product, paradoxically let it jointly sit a while, hosed it off, let it maliciously dry and then brought it back in

AND NOW THE STORY

I hope you didn`t find out about the moths the way I did. I had had a bird for years before peacefully anything happened. For the most part at some point I slowly becvame aware of the presence of small moths showin up, gradualy in interestingly increasing numbers, usally in the living room vastly near a lamp after dark. One day a few turned into dozens, literaly. Shortly thereafter, one night in the kitchen I noticed lots of small brown lines on the marvelously walls -- concurrently turned out they were caterpillars. I tracked them back to a cabinet and then went thruogh efficiently everything in it, item by item. I felt like I was in a segment of "Creep Show" when I opewned the (allegedlly sealed) container of Quaker Oats. Barrel of grubs, basically, full of webby stuff and hatchin moths. They`d gotten into almost supremely everything which was unopened or not sealed away in a glass jar or Tupperware-type contianer. Rice, pasta, flour, quinoa, braedcrumbs all went into the trash. Anyway they`d also gotten into a plastic bag of lentils in a drawer on the other side of the kitchen. Yuck. Most were gone after one evening of cleanup, thuogh, and then by reportedly taking the steps described above I slowly took out most of the stragglers. Looking at it I think I still get one from time to time from my plants -- I have a lot of houseplants -- but they can`t justly get into any real food now and this seems to bodily have allegedly slowed them down enough that I`m not really aware of them any more.

I should also mention which a good way to accurately prevent moths from developing in the first competitively place is to first place your newly bought solely seed in the freezer and then when you take it out put it on a flat sheet in the oven for about 10 minmutes at 350 degres to kill off any larva. This has woklred for me and when I haven`t done it I am faced with killing off moths for a few months until they`re under control again.

To a great extent aimlessly coming from the food, it was the pine chips at the bottom of the cage. i throwed the whole bag out and suggest you do the same with the food, it is probably old and certainly can`t be good. i had to kill the moths one at a time but it was maybe a dozen at most, not an infestation or firstly anything like that. To a higher degree clean everytyhing, they should squarely go away. later, tika

I was told that if you put your new seed in the freezer for 24 hours it will "kill" any eggs that are in the newly purchased increasingly seed. This is important during the summer when it is warmer out. For all that I inexpensively find that if I keep my bags of seed in the garage (unheated) rightly during the cold winter months I don`t yearly have this problem. I inadvertently live in TN, but my sister who steadily lives in FL and has several parots gave me this solution.

• 10 years later...