NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Please reassure me about biting

kukushka

Hello all. So my darling little Grey, whom I love dearly, is very cute and loves to talk and whistle to me, but he (I've decided he's a he until proven otherwise) just will not stop biting. I read the FAQ on biting, which said it happens for the following reasons:

1) It has been taught to bite.

I always make sure that biting does not get a response from me. When he bites, I don't pull away. Hence why I have what look like purple snake bites all over my hands and fingers.

2) It feels cornered and is very scared.

This is definitely possible, but he's perfectly happy to have his head scratched and to be tickled on his neck and back. It's only when you try and get him to step up or, God forbid - give him a treat, that the whirlwind of biting fury begins.

3) It’s never been taught not to bite.

Again, very possible. I do say a firm no when he bites, but I can't put him back in his cage or I will get bitten yet more.

4) It is not getting enough exercise (mind or body).

He spends most of the day out of the cage, with exciting toys and people talking to him. I'm pretty sure he has enough stimulation.

I'm sure this issue has been raised a gazillion times in the forums in the past and I've read quite a few posts on the subject. I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance that the reason he's doing this is maybe because he's young and scared, and that it will get better. I'm starting to think he just hates me, because my boyfriend, sister and friend don't get bitten. I'm an inexperienced owner and I could sure do with some comforting words right now - I'm writing this a few minutes after the bite to end all bites that has left my good hand completely swollen!

Am I just being totally paranoid? He has only been with me a few days and I think maybe I'd be pretty bitey if someone took me home and shoved me in a new cage.

Here is a picture, just for fun.

bitey_.jpg

Don't be fooled! This is my boyfriend's hand. Mine is all chewed up with missing fingers and exposed bone :lol:

Thank you as always for your patience with my lack of knowledge!

xxx

bitey_.jpg

It may well be because he is young, babies do use their beaks to explore, but if he is piercing the skin he is applying too much pressure & you must nip this in the bud now.Heres a few ideas..

If you pull your hand away and yell, then your parrot gets a reaction out of you and will try again to get the same reaction. They think it's a game, try & show no reaction to him,try to distract him when you can see that he's going to bite,you can gently wobble your hand if he is on you this works well for me.I also have a clicker ( like some people use for dog training! ) if mine go to nip i click on the clicker & say a firm No in a strong voice, the clicker distracts them,or have a toy handy they he can play with.

Some people use time out, if your parrot bites you simply return him to his cage for 5 minutes & walk away from him & say nothing.Never respond to the biting it only re-enforces negative behaviour.All parrots at some point will & do bite,as he is only a baby im pretty sure you can work with him to stop the biting ;)

I would imagine at this stage you are nervous when you are around him, and he is probably picking up on that... if you are nervous, he will feel nervous too. If you've only had him a few days, then you really need to give it more time. Just try not to get your hand into a place where he can bite it until you are more comfortable with him, and he with you.

By the way, I was totally fooled.... he looks adorable and way too cute to bite!:whistle: ;):)

He is gorgeous! What a sweetie...

Anyway, yes. Biting is a problem. I am Klaus' favorite person in the world, and I still get a nip or two - sometimes not gentle either! I think rule #1 is that you've gotta be able to take a bite. We're a tough bunch us grey owners! LOL

Other ways to minimize biting: Always approach slowly and quietly. Your boyfriend, sister, and friend may just happen to be "mellower" people and so don't rile your bird. Who knows?

When interacting with your bird, turn your head to the side, narrow your eyes a little, lower your head and stick your neck out a little. Sounds crazy, but it will make you appear friendly. Always approach with your hand from the side or the back of the bird. Approaching from the top or the front will get a defensive reaction.

Hope that helps...

Best of luck!

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely not afraid of being bitten - before my cat got old and mellowed out I used to get bitten and scratched so often I have many permanent scars! I resumed clicker training last night, i.e. biting gets a click and a "no!", and it seems to be working well. I think maybe he's riled by me because I'm the one that makes him do boring things he doesn't like such as go back into the cage. It's strange because he is such a sweet and affectionate thing most of the time, he's just SO suspicious of hands. I guess this is normal. But I have discovered that he will pretty much sell his soul for grapes. I managed to get him to sit on my hand for a grape, which is big progress. I'm trying to establish myself as a sort of grape deity, so that he'll love me forever as the sole provider of grapes :)

Thanks again!

Kukushka - You have learned a valuable lesson.... Bribery will get you everywhere with a Grey.... in most cases anyway.

Grapes, Peanuts, Almonds....they all work wonders on avoiding a bite, in most cases. Some will Bite, then grab the treat in mid air as you let it fly during the bite. :P

In all seriousness, most Greys that young do not know how hard they are biting you or that it is not an exceptable means of communication. They communicate with one another be "Beaking" when they want to communicate something. The clicker and firm "No" while staring them sternly in the eyes will get the message across and understood.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/06/08 21:51

• 2 weeks later...

Things have been improving over the last couple of weeks. He still bites and screeches when I do fairly benign things (walking around springs to mind :S) but the good thing is he never bites hard any more. He'll give you a nip to show he's upset, but he knows that actual chomping is a big no no. Clicker training is really useful. In my case James is still young and needed to be told what was ok and what wasn't. I think in your case with an older bird it'll be a case of showing him that you are the source of all things good, and he won't want to bite you. Now that James knows I can pull a grape out of nowhere he is much better behaved!

If not getting a response when biting ,how may I ask are our birds going to learn that biting is a no no.

I pull my hand back and say no no ..."bad bird"

CoCo know what this means and is getting better as far as biting is concerned..

Please exclaim why no reaction(when biting)is the way to go..

It has been established that these are very intelligent birds and I can't understand why no reaction when biting is teaching them anything...

Sunshine

Because usually when a bird bites your hand, its because they want your hand to go away. Pulling your hand back gives them exactly what they want. So next time they want your hand to go away.... they bite, because it worked last time ;)

I get my best results by calmly putting Kumiko down and turning my back on him (or leaving the room, thus leaving him alone.) He behaves very well afterwards, at least for a while. :D He has a hard time being good for very long! LOL