NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Please respond. Concern about drooping wing

mpr86

Hi everyone,

While visiting our grey at the store a few times, I noticed that the wings are sort of drooping on both sides towards the end of the wing by the tail (pictures attached). This was the case for most of the time I spent at the store, about 45 mins. However, there were a few instances where her wings were taught but only for a few minutes. Her hatch date is some time in February so that would make her about 4 months old. I dont know if this is a condition due to her age, but I am very concerned by this. In addition, her stance isn't fully upright all the time, instead she slightly leans forward.

img0203hu5.jpg

img0207ba3.jpg

img0204dm7.jpg

img0208zp3.jpg

img0215nt7.jpg

img0224de7.jpg

img0237kv6.jpg

img0192dn5.jpg

img0196nl3.jpg

img0201nn7.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: mpr86, at: 2008/06/07 21:46

Yes the wings have been clipped. Every employee I've asked about the wings says that it is a normal condition because she is young, or tired. However, almost all the other greys' wings seem more tightly shaped (but clipped as well).

Well, what concerns me is that it seems a little droopy or expanded downward in that area in comparison to the other greys. When your grey stands upright, is the level at which the lowest flight feather rests, at the same height in relation to the leg (assuming clipped wings)?

Could it be the way the wings were clipped? Maybe they were clipped a little too short?

mpr86, both mine are fully flighted so I cant make any comment on the clip. I have just studied the pictures and dont see anything that looks worrying there after just having a look at my two. Sorry I cant be of any more help. Caroline

I'm afraid i agree with Caroline, looking at the pictures nothing looks untoward with the baby, my only concern would be the wing clipping at such an early age,babies should be allowed to fledge & build up their muscles before a wing clip is carried out :(

Almost every picture you've got there is of the bird standing on something and grabbing to keep balance. Just looking at those eyes tells me that the bird is extremely young and the bird shouldn't have been clipped yet. That's a common stance for any bird that's just starting to learn balance.

Any time a grey is clipped when that young causes the covert feathers to hang lower because all the flight feathers as they reach the tip aim upward thereby causing a natural lifting of the covert feathers. Those covert feathers will eventually regain their proper place on the bird but only after a long length of muscular build up. There is no exact amount of droop between birds. Some have more, some less. Concerning your bird, it's on the less side. Don't clip anymore until the bird's wings grow in so he can build up strength and muscle and coordination. That'll take about 6 mts.

PS--you notice that droop cause there's no long flight feathers there. In other words, the bird's wings make it look top heavy--Flight feathers evenly spread that upward.

I don't see anything wrong with the wings. The babies at my store and my grey at home will hold their wings like that from time to time...more with the young birds.

As for the wing clip...it looks like a longer clip, sometimes called a baby clip. I do prefer to let birds learn to fly before they are clipped but a pet store is no place for a baby bird to be flying free. At my store, there are bins with puppies and a bird would be torn to bits within seconds of landing in one. We also have a breeder pair of Hyacinth macaws in a large cage in the bird department. If a baby bird was to land on their cage it would loose it's legs in a heartbeat because the Hyacinths are wild caught and VERY nasty...esp the female. There are just too many dangers in a store to let them fly. My best advise is to let a few of the flights grow in and allow the grey to learn how to fly and land with grace before it is clipped again.

I agree with just about everyone -- she looks normal to me.

And unfortunately, BMustee is right. In a pet store you certainly don't want your big expensive bird flying clumsily around banging into things or heaven forbid into another animal that may injure it. It might be best for them to learn to fly early, but not in that environment.