NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

To feed seed or not to feed seed...

LadyJayne4Toby

Recently I found that I had run out of sunflower seed to feed Tobes.. It got me thinking... Can a grey survive without it if you are meticulous about feeding him a healthy varied diet - twice a day - of fresh fruit, veg, nuts, pulses and essential fats, oils and lipids? Toby is sufficiently obedient in healthy eating - obviously if that wernt the case Id not consider it... but what do you think??

Alternatively - could I feed sunflower seed say.... twice a week on 'treat' evenings before bed? Would that be enough?

Very curious! Let me know whats worked for you if youv tried it!

:blink:

Actually sunflower seeds arent nutritious for a grey at all as far as I know. I am going through the wars with diet at the moment too. I am trying for the millionth time to wean them onto pellets :(

This is a controversial question, and no doubt you will gets lots of different views. Personally I think that eating the same thing day in day out can't be healthy or even interesting. I am a firm believer in feeding lots of different stuff, and my greys get everything I do (with the obvious exceptions of chocolate etc). Their base diet was a seed and nut mix, and mixed beans and sprouts and lots of people food. But I am trying to cut out the seed and replace it with pellets. Its day 3 and its going ok so far.

To be on the safe side, I would add a handfull of a nutritionally balanced food like pellets every day just to be sure he is getting everything he needs.

Lady Jane, sounds like you are doing a great diet. I give my birds a small amount of sun flower seeds once in a while , but I do give them a small amount of other seeds daily , about a teaspoon .My Alexandrine loves seeds and as long as she eats the good stuff , I put a little in her sleep cage .Keep up the good diet.

Kind Regards,

Mary

Alternatively - could I feed sunflower seed say.... twice a week on 'treat' evenings before bed? Would that be enough?

Sounds just right ;) I always advise to save sunflower seeds for treats & training purposes, greys would live on them if allowed.I would in addition to what you feed make some pellets or good quality seed available for your grey.

Siobhan i do feel it's a matter of personal choice in the seed V pellet debate, there is pro's & con's for both, i have tried to feed mine pellets with all the methods i advise others to try but without success.I wish you luck with getting Liath & Oisin to accept the pellets.

Now i have the opposite scenario with Millie the macaw,she was struggling to dehusk seed, so i purchased some tidy-mix which is already hulled & 100 % human grade quality & she hates it ! so this is one of mine on a pellet diet ;)

Guest Skuffy

The sunflower (Helianthus annus) is a member of the Asteraceae family (sunflower family), also known as the Compositae family. Many other useful plants belong to the sunflower family, such as echinacea, lettuce, marigolds, dandelion, chicory, thistle, endive and chrysanthemums. The sunflower plant is tall (5-20'), hearty, and it produces large brilliant yellow flowers and edible seeds, which are technically fruits. The sunflower is thought to be native to North America. However, some researchers think that the sunflower’s origin is Peru. Sunflower seeds are cultivated in Bulgarian Hungary, Romania, Russia, Argentina, the US and parts of Africa.

HOW TO GROW

Sunflower plants are easy to grow and will brighten up your garden with their bold coloration and dramatic size. Locked inside each sunflower seed is the potential for the growth of an entire plant, which can provide more seeds/fruits and offer a nourishing food for you and your birds. In early spring, sow sunflower seeds ½ inch deep. Be sure to use a rich organic soil with a pH of 6.5 to 6.8. Soil should remain average to dry; keep well-drained. This plant requires a lot of room for growth, so the spacing required between plants should be 1-2' with a row spacing of 3'. Sunflower plants require full sun to very light shade.

To protect them from wild birds, cover the flower heads with cheesecloth or a fine netting and fasten it securely. Harvest time (depending on the species) is 70-90 days after planting. When seeds or flower heads turn downwards, cut heads leaving a 2" stem; hang upside down to dry. Use a wire brush or your fingers to extract the seeds. Seeds should be stored carefully in a dry, cool environment. If they are placed in a dark air-tight container they will stay fresh for several weeks. Never feed your bird moldy nuts and seeds. Keeping them in the refrigerator or freezer will extend their lifespan and prevent rancidity.

MORE THAN JUST AN ENERGY SNACK

Sunflowers are more than just pretty plants, and their seeds are more than just a high energy snack food for your birds. They are a rich treasure of vitamins, minerals, protein, polyunsaturated fat and fiber. Sunflower seeds are an excellent source of the essential fatty acid linoleic acid, which is converted to other biologically active fatty acids that are required for optimum health. These seeds also provide an excellent amino acid profile. Sunflower seeds contain appreciable amounts of vitamin E, B complex, and are packed with minerals, such as magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc and calcium. They also supply quick energy by releasing glycogen (a form of sugar) from the liver; and at the same time, they act as a calmative because they contain a high level of the amino acid tryptophan which has a calming effect on the brain.

The levels of brain chemicals called neurotransmitters, which regulate our behavior, are controlled by what we eat, and neurotransmitters are closely linked to mood. A poor diet will increase the likelihood of depression and stress. Stress and nutritional deficiencies are both common precursors to many illnesses and disorders (both mental and physical), and they can alter our birds’ brain chemistries, as it would our own.

The neurotransmitters most commonly associated with mood are dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine. When the brain produces enough serotonin, tension is alleviated. At the neurochemical and physiological level, neurotransmitters are very important. These substances carry impulses between nerve cells. The substance that processes the neurotransmitter called serotonin is the amino acid tryptophan. Eating a quality-protein, complex carbohydrate-rich diet raise the level of tryptophan in the brain, therebv increasing serotonin production which has a relaxing effect on our emotions. Niacin (B3) is converted from tryptophan, under the influence of pyridoxine (B6). B6 is essential for the conversion of tryptophan. Vitamin C increases uptake of tryptophan. Some food sources of tryptophan are soybeans, lentils, peas, brown rice, peanuts, pumpkins, sunflower and sesame seeds, kelp and algae.

Tyrosine is needed for brain function. This amino acid is directly involved in the production of dopamine and norepinephrine, two vital neurotransmitters that are synthesized in the brain and the adrenal medulla (norepinephrine). The consumption of protein-rich foods promotes the production of dopamine and norepinephrine, which promotes alertness. (A diet too high in protein, however, can cause stress and anxiety.) A lack of tyrosine can result in a deficiency of norepinephrine in certain sites of the brain, causing mood disorders, such as depression, stress and anxiety. The effects of stress may be prevented or reduced if tyrosine is obtained in sufficient amounts in the foods we consume or (if a tyrosine deficiency exists) by means of supplementation in a high complex carbohydrate diet. Some food sources of tyrosine are soybeans, sunflower, almonds, peanuts, pumpkin and sesame seeds.

An amino acid deficiency is frequently caused by protein malnutrition. Such deficiency states may be associated with improper diet, failure to digest and absorb properly, stress, infection or trauma, drug use, imbalances or deficiencies involving other nutrients and so forth. Psychotropic drugs are sometimes used experimentally when a bird is experiencing psychological or behavioral problems. Personally, I would rather see dietary measures be implemented before resorting to artificial means with mood-altering drugs, which attempt to regulate our birds’ neurochemistry and carry potentially dangerous side-effects.

While depression may be caused by an amino acid imbalance, be aware that depression can also be caused by the use of any of the following prescription drugs: many types of antibiotics, including tetracyclines, neomycin, metronidazole; some antihistamines, including those containing Benadryl; steroids and other hormones; tranquilizers including valium; some seizure medications; and some psychosis medications including haldol.

Sunflower seeds are available both raw and roasted, hulled and unhulled. Salted sunflower seeds should NOT be used. Raw sunflower seeds are more nutritional and have lower fat content. Sprouted sunflower seeds may also be offered to your Greys and these supply them with the addition of vitamin C, little to no fat, and a highly digestible complex carbohydrate source.

Now I bet you didn’t realize there were so many good reasons for feeding sunflower seeds to your companion Grey. Seeds and nuts are highly nutritious foods and should be served in small amounts in a varied, low-fat, high carbohydrate avian diet. As with all things, moderation is the key to optimum health for our companion Greys.:woohoo:

Wow Skuffy, You sure changed our minds about sunflowers.Perhaps you should send this to everyone , I am really shocked by this information , so I guess it's sunflower seeds for lunch .LOL.....Karma to you .Great research !!!!!

Mary<br><br>Post edited by: bettyboop, at: 2008/06/05 15:46

VERY interesting opinions.. And fantastic info - thanks all! Its good to get info from both sides of the debate.

I try to feed Toby pellets but he pays attention to them for a few minutes coz theyr crunchy then wont touch them! DOH!

I didnt know you could sprout sunflower seeds... Thats interesting! I havnt had much luck sprouting seeds myself - Toby loves sprouts but finding the right beans and peas in health food shops or supermarkest is a nightmare. Gillian MacCeeth, we need you for our birdy babies!

That would be an interesting one.. "You are what you eat" for parrots..

I found a good pharmacy in a rural area in SA that catered for people with dietry issues - People who lost wieght due to AIDS or TB - It was facinating (but very sad...) to see how many things are out there re supplementation. That is where I found a fantastic selection of nut and seed oils. This is what started me on the notion that I could perhaps feed Toby on these oils and fresh fruit and veg only. (Ive struggled to get weight on him after weaning him which gave rise to the extra oils idea) That way he would naturally up his intake of fresh raw vegetation yet not loose the needed nutrients of the nuts and seeds.

What do you think???

Guest Skuffy

Cook all his/her Veg for a start..I boil or steam Max Veg...In morning I'll give him today..Scrambled egg with chopped apple and raspberries,,1/2 slice toast with Palm Nut oil spread over..Then i full his fruit pin with fresh fruits,,Apple/cherries/grapes/pear/OrangeOther bowl is full of a Mixed Nut and fruit mix..Dinner time,,he will have what i am having,,Same for Evening meal..He has access to fresh fuit all day and dryed Nut Mix...he weighs in at a Health 470-475grams

Well the bean, pea and sprout mix I feed him everyday as a base to his fruit and veg bowl is soaked for a day and rinsed repeatedly with boiling water. The veg i add is straight from the fridge, merely heated through with boiling water for a minute or so. He drinks down his oils with herbal tea on his hand feeding spoon. In another bowl I put funfood like whole nuts to crack, dried pasta, parrot puffs and pellets. Always fun! As I work mornings I leave him with plenty of things to shred while im away - Pine cones, paper bags, little boxes, chew toys. He is never locked in his cage and spends most of the time on his playpen situated at the top. He also has a bowl of our supper in the evenings though relishes eating from my plate to my sisters' disgust!!

Thanks again for all your info Skuffy! One last question... What are the benefits of feeding your parrot palm oil - As opposed to other oils... Very curious..

Why is it so good for my bird?

Palm oil is one of the riches natural plant sources of carotene. Carotene is converted by animals and humans into Vitamin A (and palm oil is used in Malaysia by people to correct Vitamin A deficiencies). African Greys evolved feeding on this rich source of Vitamin A(rich indeed-from 15-300 times the carotene in carrots and green vegetables). Next to calcium deficiencies, Vitamin A deficiency is quite commonly found in pet African Greys - no wonder, since they have such a history of getting lots of it!!

How your bird likes to eat Red Palm Oil?

About 1/4 teaspoon or 1/2 teaspoon of Palm Oil per day is about right for each bird. Natural red palm oil is one of the richest plant sources of Vitamin A, better than carrots or apricots. It's also a great source of Vitamin E.

You put it in your bird's food dish, just dripped over whatever it is your bird is eating.

- somtimes we give them sprouted sunflower seeds or sprouted wheat berries

- or you can just get it spread on your bird's favorite seed mix, or dripped on bananas or grapes.

- sometimes birds get it on their vegetables -- corn, carrots, brocolli, or even sprouted pinto or mung beans.

;)

OK, Dayo says to all the Grey human owners that do not care for Sunflower seeds, to please them to: 123 main st., Sunflowerville, ca 123454, ATTN : DAYO McQ.

He says "Thank You" ahead of time.

PS: He also states for Pellet lovers, "Lets Make a Deal" I will trade pellets for sunflower seeds. B)