NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

speaking

PanamaRed

Hello there; we`ve had our CAG since 3 weeks of age; we purchased him last August; at what age would we expect him to speak words? He whistles, cackles, goes "woo woo" and things like that but am curious. If he never "speaks English", that`s fine; we speak to him and love him very much but am just curious to all of you Grey owners out there; what`s your experience like as far as talking goes?

12-18 month range that those muscles become developed enough to let the bird "talk." That is not to say that the bird won`t say some words and/or phrases before that age. Mine said hello, I`m a pretty parrot, come here, what have you got on your beak and be quiet at 7-8 months. However it seems it is at that 12-18 month period that the talking really takes off. BTW keep in mind that some AGS only imitate sounds and some will never talk. dkp www.history-of-rock.com

so the bird is less than a year old. our tika came to us at 8 mons old, the seller said she did not speak. after 4 or 5 days she floored us by saying 4 or 5 words/small phrases such as hello and pretty bird, then just stopped as abruptly as she started for about 9-10 mons. so i guess you could say she really started speaking in english at about 18 mons. it also did not matter to us if she ever spoke again, we just want her to be happy. in our presence she rarely speaks but listens intensely, i am having a conversation right now with her as she is in the living room and i am in the office. in front of a very few people she will speak, generally with people she has known for years(3+) and sees often who pay her attention-the rest only hear her on the phone and can barely believe this is the quiet little bird that only listens that they see. keep speaking to him! if you let him go at his own pace, he`ll probably floor you! LATER TIKA

• 10 years later...