NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Why can't they all get along??

istion

I've had a african grey now for a month... He's wonderful, but... He appears to be overly agressive with out 3 cockatiels.

He just took a chunk out of the one who seems intensly interested in him... any way to get them to get friendly?

Istion, you are going to have to keep the grey separated away from the cockatiels, greys do not usually get along with any other birds even their own kind unless they are clutch mates. Your grey will maim or kill them if allowed to get close, you will need to allow them separate out of cage time.

Why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room.

I second what Judy said. Greys are not "social flockers" in the wild and most of the time will not get along with anything that isn't a grey...and not all greys like eachother ether. My Elmo tried to kill a finch that escaped on me...so now if I need to open the top door of the finch flights he gets put in the bathroom with the door shut. I would not try to get them to get along ever again. Your grey WILL kill a tiel. That is what he was going for and I'm sure he will try to finish the job if given the chance.

Ok. Not natural to be friends... but at same time not natural to sit on my sholder and do tricks for food...

Would there not be a way to Train/teach him to be non-violent. Ghandi did it for an entire nation- this is just one bird.

Like the others said , they are not social flockers. My Alexandrine will not leave my CAG, Sammy alone ,unless I keep her super busy with toys of interest . As long as I keep encouraging her to play on her playstand she is fine , if not she flies over and beaks at him , so I can't leave them alone for not even a minute .He doesnt give her the time of day . She is getting better , but it is better to be safe than sorry .

Mary

I have a baby wf cockateil that thinks he's an african grey he's even learn allot of vocalizations from Tyco. He didn't fledge until he was about 6 months old it was funny he would try so hard to fly but could only fly backwards finally he learned to fly I had to let hinm build up strength and let him keep his wings for awhile and boy trying to keep that little guy from going over to Tycos cage to be with her was murder I had to watch him like a hawk. Finally after a month of being an expert flyer I had enough and cliped his wings. There was no way I was going to I was going to spend anymore time running over to Tyco cage to save that silly birds life. So now he's the only one I've got that can't fly even a little I clipped my Conures wings and he still flys everywhere he's such a strong flyer and I only cut 4 flights you wouldn't think I even did him he flys so well

It did slow him down for a couple of days and that was enough to put him back in his place. He's another one of my birds that thinks he's the biggest bird in the house and can take on anything he already lost his beak once because Tyco bit it off and that was when he was in his cage mouthing off and making Tyco mad his Beak has grown back enough that he can finally eat on his own it took six months for that and he still a little brat

Animation1.gif

Thats so funny, but some of them never learn do they, my sun conure thinks she is big stuff too but she does not pay any attention to Josey unless I have both of them on my shoulder at the same time but it is one on each shoulder.:side: