NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Another Holiday Trauma

Marlene

I have had a look at some of the threads regarding this question but I suspect I still need reassurance.

I am going away for a week later this month. It's my family's 1st holiday in 3 years and I cannot deprive them on account of a bird....

The problem is, this is my baby. He's going to be stuck in his cage for week with daily visits from my neighbour to give him fresh food and water. He hates pooping in his cage and will have no choice. I clean his cage up to twice a day, I cant expect her (the neighour) to do so.

Will he be ok, how badly will he hate me when I return? He's only 9 mths old and I'm his staibility, the one that cuddles him - he wont let anyone else (other than my one daughter) cuddle him.

HELP!!!

He won't hate you when you come back. Birds don't get to the point of hating anyone who's been nice to them. Yes, he'll be pissed for 1 or 2 days and after that he'll show how happy he is to have yoy home. You've spoiled him with love and he's gonna let you know that you better not do that again cause the next time your a*ss is grass.

Believe me, he'll take a dump in the cage. Birds can't hold it in cause it's involuntary--Also called nature.

He can live without being cuddled for a week. greys aren't needy people. Your bird will have time to contemplate the universe when he stares out into the sky. They even do that when owners are home.

Do you really think he cares about how many times you clean his cage?? People get away with cleaning cages every 3 to 4 days depending on the style of the cage.

Maybe other threads you've read have told you different so you gotta make up your own mind cause youi're going.

He'll have visitors every day. If you're so worried, have those neighbors spend 15 to 20 minutes talking to him when coming over.

it would proubly be better to board him at your vets office that way he will have out of the cage time and be talked to and you know he would get the best of care but if your neighbour is will ing to mabie sit with him or even turn the tv on in the morning on the childrens learning channel and then turn it off at night before bed then at least your bird will have company just tell her to turn the volume on low so he's able to nap if he wants to he'll be fine and of course he will be mad at you but birds are forgiving and he will forgive you within a hour or two

Canadian_Girl.jpg

Have you tried to find a pet sitter , to stay there part of the time ? Perhaps a college student who can use some cash . I always pay someone to take care of my birds , that way I can tell them how I want it done . If it is just a friendly gesture , then it's harder. Perhaps your vet would board or the breeder would keep him .Good luck and he will love you when you return.

Mary

Have your neighbour come over while your still home and let them get to know eachother first. See if they can get him out of the cage and onto a stand and back again. Like it was said before, ask they to sit and talk with him for a bit and leave a tv on.

Hi marlene,

I posted a very similar post a few weeks ago as I was going away for a few days and was fretting like mad!

My Grey, Biggles, stayed with my parents whilst I was away and I had given them strict instructions not to let him out.

I phoned every day and got my mum to put the phone on speaker so that I could have a 2 min chat to Biggles so he knew I was still about. He seemed to enjoy that and nattered away everytime he heard my voice :-)

On our return, Biggles was sooooooo happy to see us and didn't strop in the slightest!

I certainly won#t be worried about leaving him again if we go away on holiday as I know that he will love us just as much, if not a little bit more, when we get back to him! :)

Hope that helps.

Enjoy your holiday!!! :cheer:

Amy xx

Marlene,

We were in the same situation a couple of weeks ago - we went away for a week, and decided to leave Zahzu at home rather than at the bird sitter. Our reasoning was that last time she went to the sitter it was more stressful for her, and since we had the option of her staying home, it would be more comfortable for her to be in a familiar environment. We had one of our domestic workers help out by cleaning her cage and checking her food, and our nephew came to check on her daily - she was really happy when we came back! She greeted me by my name so clearly, and she'd never said my name before!

I was really worried about leaving her, but it turned out ok, and less stressful than having to go to the bird sitter :)

Good luck, and enjoy your holiday!

-Sameera