NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How to teach ???

jugernught

Hello all,

A friend from work has given Yoda some toys he had purchased for his own Grey, who unfortunately died suddenly. One of the toys is a rack of colored rings. Each color has a corresponding post that it sits. I would like to teach Yoda not only to recognize the colors but to be able to take them off and put them back on command. I know that this is a major task but I would love to work on it. He has already figured out how to get the rings off. Any ideas on where to begin........

Thank You

Post edited by: jugernught, at: 2008/06/02 19:54<br><br>Post edited by: jugernught, at: 2008/06/02 19:55

YodaPuff2.jpg

YodaPuff2.jpg

Not a clue! I have a toy like that that I got from a baby section in a toy dept. My birds love to play with it. But all we do with it is play. She tries to get them all off before I can get them all back on again.

Sometimes she puts one on and she gets lots of praise.

Maybe some day we will progress to doing that trick, but at the moment it is just fun:side: :whistle:

Do you have a husband or child that your bird recognises as a flock member. if so in frount of the bird get you child husband to do what is soposed to be done when he/she gets it right give them lots a praise and a treat tell them to get it wrong once in awhile and and say no thats to bad no treat this time and then try with the bird do this back and forth between the bird and other flock member just make sure that you praise the flock member big time when they get it right and not at all when they get it wrong you will see in no time at all your bird will be getting it right everytime while the flock member is still getting it wrong at least half the time.

birds learn by watching other flock members when they are young so this is a great way to teach them something new

Canadian_Girl.jpg

Perhaps taking your bird to the neutral room , away from all distractions and out of view of his cage .

Then start playing with the toy yourself , it might take a while , my Grey watches us , and whatever we do , he copies , just like what ever he hears , he repeats .

Good luck and don't give up .

Mary