NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What to clean a cut on the (bird's) face with?

SFsailor

Old Bappy augered into a wall today (thats the short story of her 4th escape and subsequent recapture) :) and she recieved a little 1/4 inch gash between her beak and eye. It didn't bleed any or much at all.

Tommorow morning I will take her to the shower and give her a good drenching shower.After the shower how should I treat the cut? disinfect it with Hydrogen peroxide? Iodine?, put petroleum jelly on it?

I am a litte concern about the location because it is an area that gets "touched/rubbed" a lot when she preens herself.

Post edited by: SFsailor, at: 2008/06/02 06:51<br><br>Post edited by: SFsailor, at: 2008/06/02 06:53

I keep aloe plants just for this reason. Use the gel from inside the plant, that way you know it's pure. Don't use anything else on the cut because it is too close to the eyes, mouth and nose. Be sure to keep her perches and everything else extra clean to help prevent infection. If it does begin to look infected take her to the vet ASAP.

If your bird is escaping and flying free in the house you should concider clipping her. She has hurt herself once now, and it could have been MUCH worse. Many birds are killed from a collision with a wall from ether a broken neck or brain/internal damage. Escape from a cage fully flighted also means there is a good chance of escape from the house as well...never to be seen again. I hear people talk about loosing a beloved bird from escape all the time. You should also put padlocks on the food and main doors. There are a number of birds at the store that have to be padlocked because of a history of escape. If all the doors cannot be locked then I would buy a better cage.<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2008/06/03 05:08

MY Tyco is a escape artist I love her cage as it locks with a pin that is on the top of her cage where sh can't get at and the food doors ar also escape proof who ever designed her cage did it with escapeing birds in mind I've never seen another cage like it. The cage is trully escape proof.

Nice_to_Chat_Patricia-1.jpg

Hello, Thanks for the good advice. Aloe was the way to go. (Luckily for me, my CAG will let me play with his face/beak so I had no trouble put the liquid there).

For those concerned about bird and her full-flight ability, I feel a longer explaination of what happened is due....

Me and my bird currently live on a sailboat. She does not have a cage, and had almost full run of the boat. Needless to say she loves this situation and has REALLY grow in it. I however am not so "hot" on it because..... These CAG's put out A LOT of parrot dander/dust. This dust gets everywhere, and I would really hate to think of all the parrot dust I am breathing because I am basically living right next to her...cough, cough.

So, I have her full-flighted right now so that if she does escape (and she has) she will be able fly, instead of not flying and going into the ocean (which is about 55 degrees F) and drowning. I also want her to be able to fly away from the boat, and then return, when I am entering a foriegn country and they don't allow birds there.

Finally as, for her flying into a wall... here's what happened. She got out and flew, (full power, always flapping) over to a tree. The branch she was on was really high up, so I tried to get her down with a long pole, she then flew off into the direction of the setting sun and I lost her in the glare. So I then spent the next 1-2 hours looking for her in the area she was last seen. Strangely I didn't hear a peep from her. (Because all the lasts times I found her was ONLY by her calling out) Well, anyway the sun was set and I was just about ready to call it off for the night, when I suddendly saw a bird that looked like her fly by me then take a hard left after it flew past me. ( I was right on the corner of a 3 story hotel at this time, and I remember thinking, "How could a bird make that turn without hitting the wall") Well, I went to investigate and there she was, she had hit the wall and fell to the ground in a fenced in area where the hotel kept some stuff outside.

The "cut" that I orginally thought she had was actaully not a cut at all. It just rubbed the white off her skin. Eventually the skin scabbed over and now has returned to white, and Birdie seems none to worse for the wear.

Gotta run. And again thanks for the good advice.<br><br>Post edited by: SFsailor, at: 2008/06/10 21:30

I am absolutely shocked by your post. I cannot believe that someone whose bird has escaped FOUR times would think it wise to allow his bird to be flighted and without a cage.

I remember reading a thread about the last time your grey escaped and the worry and concern you had for it and yet you allow her to fly away from the boat and return???

I'm sorry but I really can't understand your logic here.

{Feel-good-0002006E}

Ok, first thing, Greys are not part Homing Pigeon.

Just from what you wrote it sounds like every time your grey flys off you have to go looking for it...it's not like it comes back landing on your shoulder. A flighted bird with no cage is NOT boat safty...in fact, that is Absolutely retarded. A bird on a boat needs to be in a cage if there is open access to the outside and on a harness when it is out. Greys are not long distance flyers and it cold very well become exhausted and too far away from land or the boat and end up drowning. As for "releasing" her to enter a foriegn country, it's such a ridiculous idea I'm speechless!!!

Quote " I also want her to be able to fly away from the boat, and then return, when I am entering a foriegn country and they don't allow birds there"

"she had hit the wall and fell to the ground "

"Me and my bird currently live on a sailboat. She does not have a cage, and had almost full run of the boat"

"So, I have her full-flighted right now so that if she does escape (and she has) "

As Siobhan I'm shocked & horrified by your story, You are putting your greys life in danger, so far you have been lucky, but that luck is going to run out & unfortunately it's going to end in disaster.Im sorry if this sounds blunt but my main concern is your greys safety.

HEHE I knew there was some critism out there. But please leave personal attacks out. Everyone is unique. I as I stated, I am more worried about her drowning in the water then flying away.

Yes I know Grey's are not "homing" (but you are very wrong if you think they are not capable of returning to their nest, i.e. in the wild they sure know what where there nest is. Birds have been shown to have some of the most developed cognitive maps. etc...) they just need retrained to be able to do it, Yes I know it is dangerous to have her flighted w/o a cage. The main reason for this is because they are one of the more easily startled birds.

That being said, My CAG does/has stay in the neighborhood when "out on the lam" She also actively makes calls to find me. She is now actively chasing after me when she sees me (note the wall incident).

As for the foriegn country thing. It is a necessacity. Should I just give up on something, just because others don't understand or not fully aware of my plan to train her?

My next step in her training is to get her a severe wing clipping. After this I will take her out on my shoulder when I go out on my daily bike rides. Hopefully this will help her brain by her being better able to build a cognitive map of her surroundings.

Gotta fly.<br><br>Post edited by: SFsailor, at: 2008/06/11 03:56

"""As for the foriegn country thing. It is a necessacity."""

No, entering a foriegn country is NOT a necessacity. Not only are you breaking laws but you would be putting your bird and other peoples bird in danger. I'm sure you have heard of the H5N1 virus, as well as other avian viruses. Reducing the risk of pandemics is the major reason of these laws. Also, if you are found with your grey she could very well be taken away from you and destroyed. All I know is I fully agree with these laws and if I ever NEED to go into a foriegn country I will leave my CAG at home.

In my job I talk to so many parrot owners it's not even funny and I can not even begin to tell you how many sad stories I have heard about a beloved pet that flew away never to be seen again. Greys, Macaws, Conures, you name the bird and it has flown away. All birds are capable of returning home, but like you said, greys get spooked and don't pay attention where they are going. Harnesses are made for a reason and if you really wanted to keep your grey safe you would use one while outdoors. Maybe your blindness to safety is because you think your bird is perfectly trained and will always do exactly what you want her to do, but parrots are too smart for that and have a mind of their own...a wild mind based on instinct. You want to let your grey fly free, thats your problem, but I know I am not alone on this and many others probably feel the same way as I and don't want to hear some sob story about your grey flying away in a month or so when you have brought in on yourself.

Well im sorry you feel the replies were personal attacks but i can assure you the members that replied would not publicly attack another member.You posted your story going in to great detail & therefore left yourself wide open for the criticism & concern that was expressed.

Guest Skuffy

:laugh: Wow...what can i say.."well nothing" except i think your mad,{Characters-00020067} YES YOU!!<br><br>Post edited by: Skuffy, at: 2008/06/11 16:28

SFsailor, all I can say is you have a choice to make and that is whether you want to continue to put your grey at risk by allowing her to fly around outside untethered or put her on a harness for mark my words, the day will come if you continue to do as you say you do, you will lose her forever, your luck is going to run out and my heart will bleed for your grey but not for you:angry:

SFsailor:

What can I say, except that this is a free country, and you are entitled to your opinion, as we all are. But you are not doing what is in the best interest of your bird. YOUR job is to love her, which in your own way, I'm sure you do, and to keep her as SAFE as possible in this world. You have failed her in the latter!

BMustee:

My grey is free-flighted in my home, she is never taken outside or even near a door unless she is in a travel cage. She has amazing flight skills. She is comfortable in her home, can make extremely tight turns through small openings, etc. NEVER has she flown into a wall, or window. I have MANY windows, all sizes in my home, a very open floor plan with cathedral ceilings. She seems to have a sense of keeping her self safe. I will NEVER assume she won't ever get scared and fly out the door, so I am very careful when people come and go in my house. I make sure she is in another room, or in her cage. It's just not worth the risk.

SFsailor:

I also believe (just MY opinion) that doing a severe wing clip after allowing them such free flight for most of their lives, is like cutting off your legs. How happy do you think they will be with that?? It is not physiologically good for them. THERE! That is my opinion, right or wrong. BUT, do know that my most important obligation is to keeping Talon as safe, while still being happy as possible.

Yes, I was personal attacked. Someone called me "retarded" and other choice words. That is a personal attack, and has no place in civilized discussions.

Yes, I am aware of the bird flu. I Even know where they come from. DO YOU??? For you information there are few places that are as disease free as a sailboat at sea, or even anchor.

I actually do have a "cage" for her. Its just a chicken wire enclosure around windows that she can go in and out of, so she can go outside.

This bird has not been full-flighted before, only for the last year. I DO NOT take her outside, except when we "peak" outside the hatch and I am holding her real close to my chest, OR after she has taken a shower and couldn't fly anyways because of being soaked. But like I said I WILL be taking her outside W/O harness (or maybe with) after the clipping. I have had a Cockatoo before that I did this with and never had a problem, infact it was one of the joys of her life to go riding with me.

Finally,

I am really dissapointed in all the close minded diatribe that has been shot at me. It seems not one person her realizes that being full flighted is what she needs to be. Because AGAIN, I live on the water. If she can not fly and escaped she would go into the ocean and SURELY drown, and drowning is not fun way to go. That would make me feel a million times worse than if she flew away.

I will be writing a post on here to explain what I think should be done when your AG escapes, since I have so much experience with, and the only reason why I bother to visit this forum is to read the good advice and experiences that others have had with thier birds.

Quote "" It seems not one person her realizes that being full flighted is what she needs to be.""

But in your previous post you stated...

Quote "" My next step in her training is to get her a severe wing clipping.

:S Seems your contradicting yourself here ! No more to say really.

I understand your point about being able to fly to keep her from drowning in the ocean, I really do. After all, if an open toilet is a hazard . . . I just ask you to consider this. Greys are not distance flyers and if she fatigues too far from the boat or loses her way and can't find you, she will surely drown. You will just be saved from possibly watching it happen. I do not mean this as an attack in any way. The concerned reaction to your post is only a reflection of the love we have for all these animals, even ones we'll never meet.

It's natural, as a parent or parront, to think up the absolute worst case scenario because then we can take every possible step to stop it from happening. Every decision we make leads irrevocably to a certain outcome. Better to possibly re-consider a decision now, than suffer a possibly avoidable outcome later. You're clearly as in love with your bird as we all are and are trying to give her an interesting and enriching life as your companion. I'm glad to read her cut is healing. Be well.

""Yes, I am aware of the bird flu. I Even know where they come from. DO YOU??? For you information there are few places that are as disease free as a sailboat at sea, or even anchor.""

Don't try to make other people look dumb...pretty much everyone that watches the news and reads a paper know what the H5N1 virus is and where it has been found. As for it being a "they"...it's not a group of people...it's a mutated virus. Your boat may not be harboring any disease but the water fowl in the forign countries you may want to dock at can and do carry local viruses and disease that may not cause great harm to the local avian population but could be deadly to a new bird...then carried back to it's home dock where it can spread it to all the birds in that location.

"""Yes, I was personal attacked. Someone called me "retarded" and other choice words. That is a personal attack, and has no place in civilized discussions"""

You were not called retarded...if I was going to call you a retard I would have said "SFsailor, your a retard." I was refering to your idea of boat safty as retarded. Like I have said before, harnesses where created for a reason...use one. If a bird is in a harness there is no way it's getting away from you or drowning.

"""I am really dissapointed in all the close minded diatribe that has been shot at me."""

Well, look who is calling the Kettle black. You shot down everything that has been said here and think that everyone should agree with your Pirates of the Caribbean lifestyle. If you really wanted to learn from other peoples knowledge you would not be so combative with everyone that disagrees with you.

Out of curiosity, what is your birds name? Its just the last time your bird escaped it was called Poncho and you referred to it as a he, and now you refer to the grey as Bappy and female. Have you changed the name and sex of your bird, or did "Poncho" escape again?

With all due respect, and I sincerely do not mean this as an attack, personal or otherwise, but I do find your logic regarding Bappy flawed.

If you leave your bird free flighted in order to ensure she can fly back to you should she escape, she may well get tired, try to land on the ocean, get wet, be unable to fly and drown.

If you give your bird a severe wing clipping, and she gets spooked, flaps a little and manages to make it over the side of the boat, she will also drown.

Since you seem to be unclear as to which you are doing, perhaps you should also consider the third option of harnessing your bird when outdoors, as to the best of my knowledge there is no dangers associated with a harness.

Very interesting thread and discussion. I find it intriguing and refreshing to see such a broad spectrum of opinions and suggestions.

The Sail Boat homing of any animal or bird is certainly a different scenario that I believe none here have ever considered or tried as SFSailor is doing.

If I read in between the lines correctly, SFSailor is living in the Sail Boat and traveling the open Sea's and Docking in ports of various countries. How interesting is that? I am keenly interested in SFSailors unique situation and the completely different landscape/seascape homing of a Grey and all that must be taken into consideration in this unique and ever changing environment.

I understand everyones concerns and opinions, but at this point, I would love to just sit back, listen and absorb what SFSailor has to tell us all in regards the "Wild Times" and situations he has encountered at Sea and in Port with his Grey.

It would shed a great amount of light on situations encountered in this completely different living environment that is truly "Foreign" to us all.

Rather than bringing up all the objections, can we all listen to SFSialors story?

I hope we can refrain from judging a situation that is so intriguing and different. :-)