NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Home-made toys

kukushka

OK, so I'm getting ready for my new baby coming home next week and I'm keen on the idea of making my own toys as well as buying some. Do you guys make your own toys? Are there things that make good toys that you wouldn't expect? Please share your ideas with me!

Thanks.

For greys, pieces of softer wood when they're young and as they get older get harder wood, Greys love to destroy wood as well as other things. Go to a dollar store and buy some old baby toys made out of unbreakable plasic. Get some small white knotted rawhide bones that are usually sold for small. Soak it until it cuttable with a sciissor. Put a hole in it and put a piece of shoe lace type of string and hang it. Go the pet store and buy a 1 to 2 inch cowbell.hang it up. Greys love to smash those things around. Get some hard plastic balls that are too big for the bird to hold. They'll knock that around. Go the pet store and you'll see ropes that are shredded at each end. Get one. They love to work on those things for hours. These are just some ideas.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/05/31 01:54

I like to cut a piece of paper towel tube, crimp one end, pop a treat (like a walnut) in there and crimp the other end. Great foraging treat & practically free! For variation, sometimes I'll put a peanut into one of those teeny pieces of Gladware (disposable plastic containers with lids). Klaus loves tearing that up to get to the treat.

Also, the old stand-bys ~ plastic milk rings and milk bottle caps, yogurt cups that have been emptied & rinsed, Qtips, straws cut to a safe length...

Just look around your house - you're sure to find lots of stuff!

We also love wiffle balls (plastic golf balls or baseballs with holes in them) hanging or on the floor of the cage. Dog toys and sturdy cat toys are a big hit as well. Lots of baby toys are cheap, easy to find, and a big hit. Busy beads, rattles, squeaky toys. Make sure you check all potential toys for parts that are too small or come off easily. Any chains or fasteners should be stainless steel and all paint should be lead free. Wood pieces can be colored with food coloring. Some dog choke collars can be used as a means of stringing a hanging toy, but again be sure it's stainless steel. Pretty much if it's safe for babies it should be okay for your new baby grey. If you do a search on this site for toys you will find a few threads with lots of good ideas! Have fun!

We also love wiffle balls (plastic golf balls or baseballs with holes in them) hanging or on the floor of the cage. Dog toys and sturdy cat toys are a big hit as well. Lots of baby toys are cheap, easy to find, and a big hit. Busy beads, rattles, squeaky toys. Make sure you check all potential toys for parts that are too small or come off easily. Any chains or fasteners should be stainless steel and all paint should be lead free. Wood pieces can be colored with food coloring. Some dog choke collars can be used as a means of stringing a hanging toy, but again be sure it's stainless steel. Pretty much if it's safe for babies it should be okay for your new baby grey. If you do a search on this site for toys you will find a few threads with lots of good ideas! Have fun!

I buy lots of baby toys at the dollar store like plastic keys teething rings as long as there just plastic they have rings that you can put together and make a chain I bought one toy that all my birds loved it was a plastic duck that rattled and had lots of different coloured plastic rings around it. I ended up going back to the dollar store and buying all of them because they loved them so much here are some pics of a couple thing that are okay for your birds

the rings hook together and then you can hang thing on each ring like rattles rope balls plastic keys what ever you want just use your imagination I think the rings come in packages of 12 for a dollar My birds just love baby Key rings also. I also make wood toys out of untreated wood and I don't totaly colour them I put polkca dots or hearts, Stars and things like that I paint them on the blocks with food colouring just so they don't get huge amounts of food coloring going through their systems and I think they look nicer with a few designs rather then solid colours I also do rainbows on the wood toys alot.

HPIM1156.jpg

Animation1.gif

Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2008/05/31 23:55<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2008/06/01 00:08