NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Reason for owning a grey

casper

I probably should not say this, but what the hell. B)

I wish things that used to be in the closet, stayed in the closet. Like Las vegas.

I don't want to know what wierd and un-natural things poeple do. Keep it to themsleves and brag to their kind about their frolicks.....

Ok, I'll stop....... enough said. ;)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyco is a closet talker but she tends to forget that I'm in the room sometime and starts talking to her toys while beating the crap out of them like I wasn't there LOLshe and then all of a sudden she'll remember and look over at me. she stops everything like the whole world is going to end because she was talking and I was there to hear her. What a funny bird she is I laugh so hard.

Canadian_Girl.jpg

Dave007 wrote:

No, the bird has enough feathers and frills of it's own. I doubt that mom's clothing would be appealing. Probably too worn out and wrinkled plus people would think that he's a drag queen. You wouldn't want that for your little birdy, right? He simply wants to come out of the closet and be a free spirit in all of his/her gay splender. He wants to be accepted. He wants people to think there's nothing odd if he decides to go to a club where most of the people are wearing leathers and spiked collars.

Ok, you're going to get me in trouble here! I just got a visual of Bella chasing Doc and Dream (my grehounds) around with a little whip! :P

danmcq wrote:

I probably should not say this, but what the hell. B)

I wish things that used to be in the closet, stayed in the closet. Like Las vegas.

I don't want to know what wierd and un-natural things poeple do. Keep it to themsleves and brag to their kind about their frolicks.....

Ok, I'll stop....... enough said. ;)

:blink: :blink: :blink: Ok - this is where I'm at a clear disadvantage having grown up in Europe - I have NO idea what was in the closet in Vegas!

Man, the things that get started around here when I don't log on for a couple of days. Oh well. If I'd said 'shy' instead of closet, look at all the fun we would have missed.

p.s. Dave, you are still a goofball, and you are totally to blame for this going off topic!!!:silly:

Nychsa wrote:

:blink: :blink: :blink: Ok - this is where I'm at a clear disadvantage having grown up in Europe - I have NO idea what was in the closet in Vegas!

I'm guessing you didn't understand his analagy...

The slogan for the city of Las Vagas is "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"

Being in the closet means your homosexual and have not come out and admited it yet...thus being in the closet.

He thinks that what happens between them should stay between them.

I have a few friends on "that side of the fence" and don't mind that they swing that way, but I don't like hearing about their escapades...although I don't like hearing about anyones no matter what their persuasion.

Ok, back on track. I really wish anyone thinking about getting a grey, or any bird, would talk to people that own them and do their research. Also, too many people don't get them for the long hawl. I can't tell you how many people come in and say "I used to have one of these..." I just think to myself how that birds life has been sense...if it got a forever home or if it was doomed to bounce for the rest of it's life. It's heart breaking.<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2008/06/03 05:55

Yep, BMustee explained it perfectly.

See what happens when you use something common in one country on a multi-country forum. :-)

I'm with Bmustee too on people doing research and carefully considering all that comes with the ownership and responsibilities that come with a grey or any pet for that matter. B)

I did research before I got my first grey, but I think you need to speak to owners first hand to appreciate the time and money spent if you look after your bird correctly. Most of my day is taken up with my birds, at least 4 hours out of cage time, which I have to supervise at the moment with the 2 greys. Cleaning out cages, preparing food. Also the problems people may encounter if they are used to a full on social life. All this has to be taken into account. If people think they can buy a grey and they will talk and be happy sat in a cage for most of the day, then its not the pet for them. They are very intelligent and need stimulation, they are very sensitive and loving, they need to build your trust. Caroline;)

I must confess I fell hook line and sinker for the sales pitch:blush: I had read about Alex the grey years ago, and I was totally fascinated with their intelligence. Then when I started to study psychology in humans it really intrigued me that one of the main differences that psychologists attribute between humans and all other species is their ability to use language. And then you have birds like Alex, who obviously have cognitive abilities way beyond what you would expect in a non human.

Research turned to intrigue, turned to obsession, turned to my first Grey:P And I honestly wouldnt have it any other way. When I got Liath I decided I would talk to her and try to teach her language they way a human child would learn. My brother has a child the same age as Liath and we thought it would be interesting to see how their language skills compared. Liath was actually winning for a while :)

I think she is amazing, but then I would say that wouldnt I?????

I grew up being surrounded by budgies and canaries as my grandfather bred and showed them. I had my own budgie at the age of 8 and loved him sooooo much. I moved away to South Africa at the age of 11 and was introduced to a whole new world of wonderful birds. After many many years of wanting a parrot, I finally felt ready and took the plunge at the age of 30.... I thought I was grown up enough by then to take on the responsibility lol :laugh:

Of course, I had heard about African Greys being fabulous talkers, but to honest the reasons behind me getting my Biggles was nothing to do with that. I had seen them in the wild many times in Africa and fell in love with their beauty at a young age. I actually had my cage and toys ages before I actually filled it!

I really wish people would just appreciate what wonderful birds they are, and what they offer a home without the whole "are they good talkers?" thoughts. It's sad to think that people would discard them for the fact they may get one that doesn't talk. It's like giving a baby away because it doesn't do something they've been told it might do.

Talkers or no talkers, in the closet or out of the closet... I think we're the luckiest bunch of barmy parrot lovers in the world!

:)

Amy xx

I think it's tragic if people get rid of their Grey just because it decided never to talk! I decided to get one because I wanted a pet I could really interact with on a daily basis. The thing that attracted me to Grey ownership was definitely their intelligence. My bird says a few words and it's nice that he does, but I'm more interested in the ridiculous things he gets up to when he's left to play. It's hilarious! He's very quiet, and that's fine with me. If he never spoke again, that would be fine with me too. So long as he's healthy and happy, that's all that matters. Of course, the fact that he can talk is amazing, and I love it when he does. Today I asked him if he wanted to go back in his cage and he said "NO!" You can't describe that feeling, and you can't replace it. Amazing.

• 2 months later...

*Raises hand* guilty as charged, when I first got into thinking about owning a parrot I thought it would be neat to have a talking bird. Plus they seemed so energetic and goofy. I didn't actually want a grey till I met Jacko in that fateful basement. I fell in love with those little grey feathers and soulful little eyes and couldn't leave him there. Did I know a thing about parrots at that point? Pfft no way! But I took the plunge headfirst and haven't looked back since. Life with parrots is a constant lesson, but I couldn't imagine not waking up to a cheeky little grey bird yawning in imitation before he curiously inquires "'lo (never says first half of hello lol) what's up, Jacko (he seems to think if i'm not paying attention to him i've forgotten him so he likes to say his name to jog my memory it seems)?

Oh I have to admit that my first thoughts when Kim said "hey, how about a parrot" was teaching it to say "GET TO DA CHOPPA!" like Schwarzenegger. The funny thing is, when we first thought of getting a bird was a few weeks after a new neighbor moved into the building. After a few weeks of hearing this screaching sound like a cat eating a small child (or vise-versa) we found out that it was a cockatoo. So of course, the sounds of this screaching is what made us think of a bird in the first place :laugh:. Kim origionally thought of a Lovebird, but a friend at my work say "No no, Afican Grey" (She owns a couple Red Lored's). After a week or two of research, we were sold on the idea.

Talking was an interesting thing to me. The fact that they're some of the quieter parrots out there was the other. Now with all the research that I've done in the last 2 months, I'm ever so glad of our choice. Even if he doesn't talk.

Though Kim is certain that he should, since I never seem to shut up. :blush: :laugh:. Or Kim thinks that he'll learn to shove his head under his wing and turn his back on me ... to show that I'm talking to much :lol:

Hi Broomer,

The way you are both interacting with him from week 4 on, he will settle in be a part of your home and family as if you were his birth parents. :-)

With that type of associate and strong bond, he will be paying attention to how the family interacts and communicates together very closely. The only time he my put his head under his wing, will be to hide his laugh at the last statement someone made. ;-)

The link and all your videos of him are wonderful. Thanks for posting it. :-)

• 4 months later...

I just love the bird behavior, It's neat they talk n all but it's not something big for me. I bought my Pepper, well my husband went and bought her for me, she was cheaper because she was not yet talking like her peers, (didn't think she ever would) I have had her since last July, she is around almost 2 years and lately decided she would talk very softly to us, never loudly. She likes to say Good bird most of the time. When I was sick and stayed upstairs about 3 days, I came and sat on the couch beside her and she said. "What ya doing"

I like this thread. I think I'll go back and read all the responses once I have my coffee handy! But I'll go ahead and post my own reasons now.

I'd always wanted a bird, ever since I was little. I grew up with dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, hermit crabs... But never the feathered friend I wanted. My family is NOT bird friendly.

When I joined the Marine Corps I was unmarried, and stayed so throughout the duration of my enlistment, meaning I lived in the barracks. While I was there, I really grew to miss having animals around, which came through as "I'm going to get a dog as soon as I get out." I always had dogs, so that's where my brain defaulted. When I finished my four-year enlistment, I got married to the man I'd been seeing and we adopted a puppy from the pound. Then a couple months later, we got another one.

I'd actually forgotten I ever wanted a bird until we started studying Alex in my psychology class. Over the course of the next year I thought about it off & on, but never saw it as a true possibility until around September. During that year I'd do sporatic research, watch YouTube videos, read about Alex, etc., but never really went into what it takes to have a Grey of your own. Then in September of last year, things changed, and I started to really yearn for a little feathered boarder.

We talked about it and did the research, and in October I brought home Tango. I'd always wanted a bird, but the reason I went with a Grey is because of Alex and all the work he did with his colleague, Dr. Pepperberg ;) Being a psychology major, I find their work very interesting. And while I may or may not ever duplicate some of the things they did together, I'm happy with my moody, warbly, affectionate, flappy, trusting, comical little guy. Yet another reason I have to be thankful for Alex and Dr. Pepperberg -- if it weren't for them, I might not have my Tango :)

I decided to get a grey because of some of the things that many people consider parrots "Negative" features.

I take it very hard when I lose pets as I really treat them like they were my kids, as I do not have kids of my own and never will (I am disabled and would not think it is fair to a child). So I wanted a fid that will live with me the rest of my life (we should hopefully have about the same lifespan at my age).

Their intelligence was another main factor, Saphira communicates with me more than Thorn does, but Thorn is two-three months younger than Saphira.

There talking ability did not factor in my decision. The majority of the time my fids do not talk to me, but I just about always know what they want.

I almost decided on a Cockatoo because of the amount of time that they want to be with you and they are more cuddly birds, but must Cockatoos prefer to be an only bird and I knew I wanted more than one. And the fact that Greys are not as loud was a plus too. I can handle a loud bird, but some Cockatoos are VERY loud (I wanted a maluccan Cockatoo).

I grow up around animals. My father had an aviary full of breeding parakeets. I would sit for hours watching them. We also had peacocks, tumbler pigeons, bantam chickens and oodles of other animals. I always wanted a parrot, they fascinated me; they could talk. I can finally have the parrot I dreamed about, well really I dreamed about a Blue and Gold Hyacinth, but as I grew older I fell in love with African Greys. Ana Grey is a doll, she is sitting right now on the back of my chair with her head on my shoulder, she is such a love.

I've loved birds (the feathered variety and the leggy sort too!!) for years, since I was little and always wanted to own one. I've never really had the time, or money to have one.

Recently (2003) I've since moved house from Blackburn to York, so have left a lot of friends behind (who I keep up with via Facebook, msn and a monthly trip over the pennines).. As a consequence, I don't really know that many people over here, so my social life has declined a little lol! After meeting the breeder last October, and seeing how these Greys interact with people, I've seen how these birds are more "friends" than pets..

I think deep down, every Grey owner would love their little-uns to chat to them, I know I do.. If it doesn't, I'm not going to be disappointed at all, I just want to come home and have a little buddy to have a laugh with and a great long lasting relationship.

I'm leaning towards the Grey over other birds mainly because of their intelligence, they absolutely fascinate me. The way they mutter at you, their tantrums and other quirks.

I work as a teaching assistant in a 2ndary school, and in all the videos I watch of Greys, I can relate to at least one of the pupils who I work with!! So I'm bracing myself for 50 years of living with a moody teenager lol.. Must be mad!

Like Sallas, I too have a disability. I've got fairly advanced Arthritis.. the only thing I'm worried about is whether my crutches will scare him/her.. All new dog's will bark and be very wary of me till they know I'm not about to hit them over the head!! So I'll just have to work out ways to get the new arrival used to my stilts. I can't really introduce them slowly.. As I kinda need them to get around!! :lol:<br><br>Post edited by: Titch, at: 2009/01/13 00:25

I've written on my blog about why I wanted a parrot. The short version is I love birds, I long for daytime companionship, and I'm interested in animal consciousness.

The linguistic ability of Alex and other African Greys fascinated me not because of the talking per se but because it corroborated the strong suspicion that parrots (and other birds) are extremely intelligent and emotional beings. (I also wouldn't mind living with a dolphin, sperm whale, bonobo or elephant, but obviously none of them are suitable for human houses.)

As others have noted, the talking now seems secondary. Shanti hasn't said a word yet (only 7 months old), but he is emoting and interacting, relating to us like crazy. He's just wonderful to be around.

On some level I don't even think of him as a parrot anymore -- just another soul who has joined our family/flock.

• 3 months later...

What atracted me to owning a parrot was their loyalty i wanted actually a macaw but because i live in an apartment i couldn't have it but i never regret that. I saw in a macaw beauty intelligence and loyalty.

When i got Noah i recently moved to the states from Denmark and it was very hard on me i felt very lonely so i thought a parrot would be the perfect pet for me. When Noah started talking a little i became extremely happy because if anything happens out of control may God forbid it he will have a better chance to be rehomed if he talked.