NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question about teflon????

I'm alittle reluctant to join join your site but I enjoy reading about your babies. I do not have a bird at this time. I lost him to a big accident. I had a piece of teflon in my oven to catch the drips and I turned my oven on clean..It never even dawned on me the product was teflon. Anyway I don't need to tell you what happened. Needless to say it's taken me weeks before I could even talk about this without crying. My question is how can I be sure all the remains of the teflon are gone??? I've cleaned the oven as best I can with soap and water. Emptied my vaccum wiped everything down I can but is there anything I can do to be sure. Does anyone have ideas. I'm afraid to get another bird till I know. HELP PLEASE! thanks, Lynda

Hello Lynda, welcome to the forum :)

I am so sorry to hear you lost your bird due to that. It was an honest accident but I bet you feel guilty anyway... Don't be.

Hello, and I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Teflon is a big no-no for all birds, as well as cleaning supplies, candles, air fresheners, etc. I don't quite understand what is left as far as teflon is concerned. It should NEVER be used at all. Why don't you research as much as you can while you are waiting to get another bird. There is always something new to learn.

I'm glad you joined our family. Please stick around and keep posting. You'll make lots of friends here. :)

Hi Lynda & Welcome.

"i had a piece of teflon in my oven to catch the drips and I turned my oven on clean.." what did you have some kind of tray or dish coated with teflon ? or was it your actual oven ? if it was a dish/tray that got overheated emitting the fumes did you dispose of it ? If it was your actual cooker then personally i would seek advice from the appropriate service/repirman.

The piece that was in my oven rolled up like a piece of paper. Of course I disposed of it but I was afraid that the dust from the over heated teflon might still be in the oven vents or around the house. I really wasn't sure how long it lasted. I knew teflon was bad and never would have used it on purpose, I thought what I had put in the oven was like alum. foil.