NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How old are they

madisimmons

I was just wondering how old everyone's birds are, who has the oldest one and if there are any tell tell signs regarding age.

I know about them having completely black eyes when they are small, but what about when they get older.

Thanks,

Kim

A baby bird will have black eyes, but at about 5 months they start to lighten up. After the eyes begine to change you can tell the bird is still under a year because of the dark tips on the tail feathers. Around the time they turn one they begin to molt out the baby feathers and will get the solid red tail feathers, so if you see a gray eyed grey with one or two solid red tail feathers you know it's about a year old. As Dave said, when they hit sexual maturity they will get the yellow tint to the ye, which lets you know they are older than 7-8 years. Other than those few milestones you can't tell the age of the bird. Elmo is 1 year 2 months and has grey eyes and two tail feathers that are solid red.

7-8 years is an average, it's not set in stone. Humans will hit puberty anywhere from 8-14, but most people would say around 10-11 is the average age for puberty. Thats why eye and feather color is an APPROXIMATION on age.

I totally agree with BMustee. Any age markings on a bird can only be classified as a variation. Nothing is exact. A bird can start to show the final color markings ( ex--iris color) at a young but mature age and the final markings won't be permanent and unchangeable for a couple of years. That age catagory can be 6 to 8, 7 to 9, 8 to 10, etc etc. What one bird looks like at a certain age can't be used when discussing the masses of a particular species.

A grey's gray eye color can stay with a bird for a shorter or longer amount of time. That applies to the very light gray and the cream white and the solid white color.

Bird sexuality is also something that's not set in stone. Although it's generally accepted that a grey is sexually mature at the age of 5, that doesn't mean that the 5 yr old bird is always physically able to mate successfully yet.

How wonderful Skuffy!! 8 yrs and counting... They told me my Sammie was a about a year and a half old when I got her, but I don't think so. Her eyes are a whitish yellow color which means she has reached at least what 5 yrs old or puberty unless I'm mistaken. It doesn't really matter to me, but it makes me mad :angry: they lied about it!! ugh!! which means I can't believe anything they told me.

madisimmons wrote:

How wonderful Skuffy!! 8 yrs and counting... They told me my Sammie was a about a year and a half old when I got her, but I don't think so. Her eyes are a whitish yellow color which means she has reached at least what 5 yrs old or puberty unless I'm mistaken. It doesn't really matter to me, but it makes me mad :angry: they lied about it!! ugh!! which means I can't believe anything they told me.

How long have you had Sammie? If he is still close to a year and a half he may still have some baby tail feathers...any of them have dark tips still? How about a leg band? Most bands will have the year of hatching and the state they were hatched in on them.

BMustee wrote:

madisimmons wrote:

How long have you had Sammie? If he is still close to a year and a half he may still have some baby tail feathers...any of them have dark tips still? How about a leg band? Most bands will have the year of hatching and the state they were hatched in on them.

I got her May 10th and she is missing like all of her tail feathers but one. The guy I got her from said the people who surrendered her had sammie in a cage that was too small and that's why they are missing.

She had 3 when we came home and pulled two out. I think they were bothering her. The vet said she had stress lines on the ones she did have.

No leg band either.

My Lyric will be 2 on August 27. I have had his parents for over 12 years, and they were both wild-caught so I don't know their true ages. Lyric's eyes are a very light grey, his parents both have the yellow eyes of an adult.

Lyric wrote:

My Lyric will be 2 on August 27. I have had his parents for over 12 years, and they were both wild-caught so I don't know their true ages. Lyric's eyes are a very light grey, his parents both have the yellow eyes of an adult.

I guess I need to see the eyes of an actual adult and compare.