NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My Gracies health issues

Graehstone

This is a "re-post" from another group and happened a while ago. My sweety still has them every now and then (that I catch.)

Gracie had another seizure the other morning. I heard her fall off of her playground and found her on the floor dragging her right foot and a blank look in her eyes. I was able to pick her up and even go so far as to massage the entire leg for some time, I think I might have even been able to prick her with a needle and she would not have felt it but didn’t want to go quite that far.

All I can do in times like that, other than fall to pieces (which I did after, alone in the bedroom) is hold her and make her as comfortable as possible, which I did.

I held her real close up against my chin all the while scratching her head and whispering to her how much she meant to me and how much I loved her and that everything would be just fine and was able to see the shine return to her eyes as she slowly came round again.

I knew that she would be ok (as far as “ok” goes in this instance) when I asked her for a kiss and she leaned in and gave me a great big and loud smackaroo right on the kisser.

She’s fine now as if nothing happened and I suspect that she doesn’t even know that anything did. I love my little girl very much.

I was able to take a picture of her foot as she was having (or rather coming out of) one of her seizures, you can see how stretched out it is and her toes cramping.

Gracieleg0001.jpg

For those that don't know, Gracie has a form of epilepsy, and as far as that in birds goes there is no "cure" per say and all I can do is keep her healthy in all other aspects and not really treat her any different than the others because she isn't, she just ... stutters every now and then.

What causes them is unknown, and I am sure that my poor sweety has had them when I didn't happen to catch it happening. She could just as easily have had several mini seizures during times that I wasn't watching her.

As a mater of fact I am pretty sure that there have been such instances.

They can last anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes, all depending I guess. I too think that she is better served to come back to the living if she knows (somewhere in the back recesses of her poor little confused mind) that someone who loves her is there to watch over her.

Now all that could just be me anthropomorphizing things and I am sure that to a certain extent that is true, but I still think that it helps and that there is a "person" in there that really needs my help and relies on it.

All things considered ... I wouldn't trade my Gracie in for all the riches in the world, she gives nothing but unconditional love and asks for nothing in return, I would be greatly remiss as not only a spiritual, but also as a proper human being should I not try everything in my power to make her life as comfortable and safe as possible.

Birds like my sweet Gracie would never have survived in the wild with her condition, she would have been culled and ... simply put, Lunch for something else.

Do we do the species a service by retaining such genetic material in the gene pool? Or are we truly saving (those little people in feather suits) from ... ? ... and is our intervention warranted?

I guess it boils down to (for me at least, and I had no intention of having this post go down this road but my fingers just kind of took over) should we even have Parrots as pets?

I don't think I would be the "who" I am today were they not an important part of my life, but still ...

***** Just thought to post this here in case there might be others that have similar problems with any of their birds. So far I know of only Gracie and my Vet is kind of stumped too and he is the author of this: http://www.avianpublications.com/items/care/item132.htm

What a scary ordeal to live with Graehstone. :-(

I assume that your vet has perform blood tests to check Calcium, Vitamin A levels etc. to ensure these seizures are not being brought on by a deficiency of one or possibly both of them? Grey's are known to be highly susceptible to deficiencies of these.

Purchasing and keeping Parrots and other critters is a which came first "chicken or egg" trap. Consumers (Us Humans) have an affinity for keeping and domesticating critters since the beginning of time.

The money we are willing to pay for such pleasures creates a "Need" that is then filled by the notorious "Trappers" that make a good living off of decimating species from their natural habitat and sometimes to levels of near or at extinction in the wild.

Then "Breeders" pop-up that solves the "Demand" situation, starts putting the "Poachers and Trappers" out of business due to a decline in their business and hopefully the wild and natural population returns to normal levels before extinction.

So, the are literally 1000s of each species available for purchase at most times that need homes. Then there are the "rescued" unwanted critters that needs a home. Both cases must have a channel to place these critters in loving and caring homes.

I personally do not believe either path of obtaining a "Critter" is wrong, since both instances need a home. But, if someone is capable and loving enough to take in a rescue, expecting baggage and even perhaps a low return on the love invested. Then that person is an ideal candidate to take in a rescue.

On the other hand, if a person with little or no experience wants a critter. The best path is probably purchasing a domesticated, hand raised and well socialized critter which will keep both the new owner and critter happy and in a good life long relationship.

So no guilt should be felt in either case.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/05/26 18:00