NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A poop question

Pchela

Hi

So the baby is 13 weeks old and being hand fed by me. He's been with me 2 weeks now. He's been eating his formula and in the past week has really started eating veggies and nuts and fruit and pellets. Today he had a really large poo that was really fowl smelling. It was also really watery though it did have all three parts. He had two more that were smelly today and his last one seemed normal. Should I be alarmed? The only other time he had a smelly poo was the night we brought him home and I figured it was from the stress of leaving home and the long car ride etc.

Anyway, any poo experts out there with some advice? His formula is Kaytee and is what the breeder was feeding him. I introduced jalepenos and grapes and raw carrots in the past two days.

Well, poopology tells us that Jalapeños and Grapes and raw Carrots certainly cause a serious change in Poop color and consistency once chewed, mixed and compressed in the Crop and then jettisoned out the rear. :P

The change is probably just do to the new food items being ingested. Veggies are also watery and will make the poop have a looser and watery appearance.

I know we have probably done this poop topic to death, but I have a question I havent been able to find an answer to. Oisin has very strange poop. It is mostly watery, with only a little green and usually (though not always) no white at all. It is especially watery if he gets grapes, so he is limited to one every now and then but definitely not every day. He is almost 1 and is absolutely fine in every other way.

His diet is bean mix, pellet and seed mix and very little else, he is a very fussy eater.

Should I worry at all?

Awww... the ancient art of poopology. I never studied it. I shall learn the sacred ways though!

Thanks for the laugh danmcq!

Siobha9- In researching my poop question, I did read that there should always be the three parts so if yours has no white, you might consider a vet visit. But I'm no expert. Maybe others will have some advice for you.

Gulp... Problem is there are no avian vets... well I lie, there is one in Ireland, but she is a very long way away.

He has always been like this, I've had him since he was 4 months.... and there has been no improvement or decline in the quality of his poop:S

Siobha,

Bella's poop is like that too more often then not - clear with one little green or brown sausage and no white.

Other times she does poops that have all three parts, and then sometimes she only pees and no poop comes at all, just water. My avian vet told me that when it comes to poop, I should get alarmed if it looks like puss (greenish puss or yellow) or blackish (that is when she didn't eat blue berries - when she eats blue berries she has blackish poop). He told me her poop should always look the color of what ever she's eating. Since Bella has a varied diet, she has some pretty colorful poop, but nothing that looks like puss.

Leave it to Dan to come up with the idea of the "ancient art of poopology", none of us may have studied it but we all take lessons in it firsthand every day.:laugh:

If there is any question about your bird's poops being normal a call into the vet's office is required.

I didn't mean to alarm you siobha! Seriously, I've had birds for about 2 months now and no prior experience so I'm definitely no expert. If your bird has always pooed like that then it seems that would be normal for your bird. Let me see if I can find that article I read for you. I'll post it in a minute.

Glad I brought a smile Pchela :-) As you probably know, we all watch the poop for any long term changes (2 to 3 days) for abnormal changes that we know are not due to some change in the foods they have just recently consumed.

Siobha - If both your Grey's are eating the same items, their poop should be fairly similar. The exception being if one consumes more water or veggies and fruit than the other. This could at times result in a lot of water passed along with the poop and no "White" Urine portion which Dayo does also due to the amounts of fluids he consumes.

Nycsha - EeeEewwwwwWwwWwWweeeee "I should get alarmed if it looks like puss (greenish puss or yellow) or blackish (that is when she didn't eat blue berries - when she eats blue berries she has blackish poop)."

Too much information. ;-)

Judy - I think we have all became familiar with the ancient art of poopology through first hand up close and personal inspection. :sick: :pinch: :laugh:

Thanks guys

Dan: Siobha - If both your Grey's are eating the same items, their poop should be fairly similar. The exception being if one consumes more water or veggies and fruit than the other. --- Nope they arent, Liath eats everything and anything, but no pellets and hardly any beans. Oisin loves his bean mix and eats some seeds and pellets.

Pchela: didn't mean to alarm you siobha! Seriously, I've had birds for about 2 months now and no prior experience so I'm definitely no expert. --- You didnt alarm me as such, I was thinking along the same lines myself. Its just it would have to be life or death to get an appt with the avian vet. My regular vet,as he says himself, does beaks, wings and toe trims, and first aid.

Judy: the "ancient art of poopology", none of us may have studied it but we all take lessons in it firsthand every day --- we sure have as we attempt to remove it from our clothes, our floors and our furniture.

danmcq wrote:

Nycsha - EeeEewwwwwWwwWwWweeeee "I should get alarmed if it looks like puss (greenish puss or yellow) or blackish (that is when she didn't eat blue berries - when she eats blue berries she has blackish poop)."

Too much information. ;-)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Have to know your poopology!!

Your right Nychsa!!

I did a small study last night for 4 hours before Dayo's bedtime.

He received:

Start - He received Seeds and Nuts

1 hour later - He received some scrambled Eggs

1 hour later - He received Veggies and Fruit

This morning BIG Poop - Very interesting.....It came out as a psychedelic spiral, pretty actually it was in a pattern of first - dark green, then an inch or so of yellow, then an inch or so of light brown and the very last 1/4 inch of reddish color from the grapes. :P

All this was then surrounded by a large clear liquid pond for the Psychedelic spiral to float atop which simulates a freaky movement inducing a trance it was hard to pull yourself out of the "Hippy" days you once enjoyed as a young adult. B)

Far-out Man!!!

Pchela wrote:

So, big, wet, smelly poop again this morning but not during the day. Is this weird?

Oh no Pchela, not wierd at all. Like Dan said, the first bomb in the morning is usually the biggest and most offensive one. Many parrots "hold it" during the night so when they come out the next day, they've got a serious load waiting to drop!

My little conure, Jigme, his first morning bombs out do my grey's by several grams I'm sure! He drops them bigger the he is first thing in the morning (just kidding, but they are BIG). I know Jiggy holds it all night because his cage is clean as a whistle in the morning.

Well, I worry for all of you after this thread! :P

So, we went to the vet and he says everything looks great and keep doing what I'm doing! This is good to hear for a newbie who has found herself handfeeding without any experience! He did say the smell could be from a lack of bacteria and put the baby on acidopholus powder. He's only had one dose and already the poop is odorless!

danmcq wrote:

But, it can be amusing if you perform the nightly feeding in various colored food groups spaced hours apart!! :-)

And there I thought I was the only one that did this ... I have been able to get a great mint green coming out of Ruby using fava beans and a cute pink with cranberries.

;) :whistle: