NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY HEALP ?

NASY

I HAVE A HEALTH PROBLEM WITH MY ONE YEAR OLD AFRIKAN GREY. 15 DAYS AGO HE STOPED TALKING AND PLAYING. AFTER 2 DAYS HE STARTED TO TREMBLE AND SPEND MOST OF THE TIME AT THE FLOOR OF HIS CAGE,HE OLSO STOPED EATING AS MUCH AS BEFORE. I WENT TO THE VET AND AFTER TESTING HIS SALIVA AND DROPINGS HE SUGESTED AN ANTIBIOTIC NAMED BAYTRIL TO TREAT BACTERIA. I HAD TO GIVE IT TO HIM FOR 5 DAYS, MY PAROT WAS STILL LOOKING ILL SO HE THEN SUGESTED FOR 2 DAYS A MEDICIN CALLED NYSTAMYSYN. I HAD A VERY DIFICULT TIME GIVING IT TO HIM BUT EVENTUALY WE MANAGED WELL ENOUGH.ITS BEEN 4 DAYS NOW AND THE SITUATION IS STILL THE SAME.DO I HAVE TO DO ANYTHING MORE? HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR THE RECOVERY? I AM A NEW OWNER OF AN AFRIKAN GREY AND VERY UPSET . WE ALL LOVE HIM VERY MUCH AND WANT TO TAKE GOOD CARE OF HIM. THANK YOU FOR LISTENING TO ME .

If the same condition still exists, your Grey needs medical attention. What tests did your vet run? Blood work, stool samples etc.?

Is your vet an Avian vet? If not, I would find one ASAP to get your Grey properly treated.

Is your vet an avian vet? If not I would try to find one and go to that vet your baby is very sick. He can still get well but he well need more care.

Also are you keeping your bird warm? I would keep him in a room or brooder at about 90 degrees until you see some improvement.

As long as he is sick he still needs to be on medication and since your bird sounds very sick I would think he would need to stay at he vet and get shots.

I am not a vet and can not stress how important it is to get your baby to an avian vet and soon.

Both of those medications are frequently used for parrots that have different ailments. The type of ailent you describe is one that doesn't improve immediately. The recovery period varies depending upon how sick the bird is. Compare it to a person who has a cold as opposed to someone who has the flu. The flu takes longer to get rid of.

In your situation, the best thing you can do is stay in close contact with your vet ( preferably daily) and give him an up to date report on the bird's progress or non progress. On these boards, we never recommend other drugs that might be used. Your vet is the one that did the exam and he knows what treatment to give even though there are other drugs available. Don't purchase any over the counter drugs. Most meds that are prescribed for parrots are difficult to give. It's not uncommon. Try to keep your bird in a warm area that has no drafts. Make sure there's fresh water that's easy to get to in case of dehydration. Right now, water is more important than food but the foo d should also be easy to get to. If your bird is falling off his perch, provide a towel at the bottom to prevent injuries.

You should also ask your vet what you should look for as far as any changes be they good or bad.

Another thing about how long it takes to heal..you never said what the ailment was diagnosed as.

THE VET THAT DID THE TESTS ON OUR GREY WAS AN AVIAN VET .THE TESTS SHOWED BACTERIA,AFTER SALIVA TEST AND STOOLTEST.THE TEMPERATURE IS 29C IS IT WARM ENOUGH OR MUST I DO SOMETHING ELSE. BY THE WAY I GIVE HIM WATER WITH VITAMINS .HE EATS A LITTLE AT ABOUT EVERY 2 HOURS

I don't like to suggest anything in the way of drugs but ask your vet about a detox mabie ask your vet also to do a blood work up just to see if there is anything else besides a bactieral infection I know blood work can be expensive but it may be the only way to find out whats trully wrong. how old is your grey

Nasy, Baytril is usually given 2 times a day for 10 days-2 weeks. You should find an avian vet and immediately take your bird in, asap. HE is a very sick bird, remember, they mask their illness so well. A good rule of thumb to follow is: If they appear sick, then they are probably VERY sick and in need of medical care.

Please keep us updated, we care very much. :huh:

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP. I HAVE DONE AND STILL DO EVERY THING I CAN TO HELP COOCIE.I WILL NOT GIVE UP UNTIL HE GETS WELL.I HAVE DONE PRACTICALY EVERY THING YOU HAVE SUGESTED.I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO MENSION THAT I AM AN ANIMAL LOVER AND HAVE MANY AT HOME.WE DONT HAVE A CLINIC IN OUR AREA UNFORTUNATLY FOR BIRDS,BUT WE HAVE A GOOD VET WHO TAKES CARE OF WILD BIRDS ALSO,SO I AM HOPING HE CAN HELP.THANK YOU SO MUCH. I WILL KEEP UP WITH YOU. BY THE WAY "HEALP"IS FOR HEAL AND HELP.

Hello Nasy,

I am certain that you are desperately doing all you can to ensure your Grey is brought back to good health. I don't believe any of us tried to imply you were not, if we somehow made you feel that way. :-)

You are doing the right thing in exhausting every possible avenue to find help and ideas for getting your Grey on the mend. I am positive it took some effort to even find this forum.

We love all Grey's and any other critters for that matter and are keenly interested in the health and well being of the critters and the owners mental sanity as well , as they go through these worrisome times.

Please keep us posted on the progress and post as often as you like. You will find we are a very caring and loving forum community unlike any other. :-)

I like the play on words you used in coming up with "Healp"!!

I know for a two hour drive I could get a second opion for all my birds. We only have one avian vet here and so far I have not needed to but would if I needed a second opion or a more experienced vet. Have you looked into that?

I hope your bird is doing much better now.

Nasy, you poor thing , I know you must be in a panic . I am sure you are doing a good job and doing all you can for your precious little Grey . I agree with Dave , I would call the vet everyday and give him a better or worse description of your bird .I do think I would ask your vet if perhaps he could consult with an Avian vet , or refer you to one .I am sure he could do a phone consultation if there isnt one around you .It wouldnt hurt to ask .....

Good luck and I will be thinking about you and your bird, keep us informed.

Mary

I agree that Batryl is usally givin for at least 10 days 5 days is not enough in fact it could cause the bacterial infection to get worse instead of better I to would see if I could find a good avian vet and fast you don't want to have your baby that sick for to long if you can't get to a good Avian vet mabie see if you can find the phone number for one that your vet can call and get some clear instruction just a thought Please don't worry I'm sure God is looking out for your little guy and you and I'll send healing thought your way please please keep us informed as I'm sure we are all as concerned as you are for your bird and his health

Animation1.gif

TO EVERYBODY THAT CARED!THANK YOU SO MUCH. UNFORTUNETLY I HAVE VERY BAD NEWS. COOKIE DIED YESTURDAY.HE WAS SHOWING ME HIS LOVE UNTIL THE END HE WANTED TO BE IN MY HANDS. HE IS MISSED VERY MUCH BY ALL THE FAMILY. EVEN THOUGH HE WAS QUIET FOR TWO WEEKS ITS AS IF HE STOPED TALKING YESTURDAY. WE ARE THINKING OF GETING A NEW BABY IN THE NEAR FUTURE. THATS WHEN WE GET OVER COOCIES LOSS. DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD? THE TRUTH IS THAT ONCE YOU HAVE HAD A GREY YOU CANT DO WITHOUT ONE .THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE.

My heart goes out to you and yours, I am so very sorry for your loss.

If you do not know the cause of death, you really should have a necropsy done in order to rule out any infectious diseases that you might be exposing your future bird to.

There are several that we still do not know the cause of or even how they are transmitted and too many of them are sadly enough lethal ... Aspergillosis, PDD, Pachecos virus, Polyoma virus just to name a few.

I will say a little prayer for Cookie and you.

Nasy, I'm so sorry about your loss. It leaves such a hole in your life when a loved pet dies. Do you know what ultimately was the cause of death? I would want to know for sure that there was nothing toxic in the environment before I brought in a new bird, they are so sensitive. Even the most pampered and well cared for bird, as I'm sure your Cookie was, can get hold of something dangerous. Another member here almost lost their bird from metal poisoning which they think came from playing with the zipper on a pillow. Knowing the cause of death would help to ease your mind, I think. For sure you'd have to very thoroughly disinfect every cage and toy.

Sorry if this is too much info too soon because I know your family is grieving. Again, I'm sorry for your loss. Marguerite and Dorian

Nasy , I am so sorry . My heart dropped as I read the post , how very sad and how very quickly he passed . I would want to know what it was and where did it come from. I agree with Acappella about knowing if there is something toxic before bringing in a new bird. Well Blessings and prayers to you, little Cookie is now at Rainbow Bridge , flying high and feeling no pain ..

Mary

I am so sorry to hear you lost Coocie and my heart breaks for you right now but you did the best you could but it was just not meant to be. I'm sure he loved you as much as you loved him and you will miss him deeply but one day you will be reunited.

I hope one day you can get another grey but for now you need to let yourself heal from the loss and then you can honor his memory by bringing another grey into your life.

HI EVERYBODY! I WAS TOLD BY THE VET THAT COOCIE HAD AN INFECTION OF BACTERIA THAT HE HAD FROM WHEN HE WAS BORN, AT SOME TIME HIS IMMUNE SYSTEM WAS NOT SO GOOD SO THE BACTERIA MULTIPLIED. AFTER TREATING THE BIRD WITH BAYTRIL FOR SEVEN DAYS HIS PEPTIC SYSTEM HAD TROUBLE SO HE WAS TREATED WITH NYAMICIN.I THINK THAT MADE THINGS WORSE.ANY WAY THE VET INSISTED THAT HE WAS TOO WEAK.UNFORTUNETLY WE DONT HAVE MANY SPECIALIZED VETS FOR BIRDS .HE WAS OUR ONLY CHOICE.WHEN WE DECIDE THAT ITS TIME TO HAVE A NEW BIRD WE WILL CLEAN AND DISNFECT ALL HIS BELONGINGS JUST IN CASE.I WAS THINKING OF BOILING THE WATER BEFORE I GIVE IT TO ANY BIRD I HAVE,IS THAT OK? THANKS A LOT HAVE A GOOD DAY.

Bleach and water will disenfect the cage and jf you have a dishwaher with a sani cycle I would put all the toys belongings dishes everything through the dishwasher turn on the heat for drying and water temp and that will sterilize it mind you it also will probubly take the color off the toys as they use food coloring but you can always recolorthem just take a cu tip an dip in food coloring and dab rince off the accsess and let dry or if you don't care about color Im sure your birds won't either when I make toys out of wood for my birds I put polka dots and heaet shapes with food coloring I don't color the whole peice of wood they chew it and make them into tooth picks regardless of how much color is on them as long as it looks like a toy acts like a toy its a toy to them and that means it has to be destroyed

Canadian_Girl.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hello Nasy,

I found you when I was looking at my profile and saw other profiles in Athens. I live in Kifissia. I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to you. Maybe since we live in the same city (although not so close) we can support each other with info and resources as well.

What do you think?

Cheers, Renate