NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Will Cheerio learn not to fly into windows?

wastrox

The majority of birds do not relise that they cannot fly through glass.Take your bird to the window, tap lsightly on the window to show him it's a solid object.Depending on the light/sun he may see his own reflection in the window & see it as a threat.You can try covering the window with a sheer mesh fabric.You can also hang decorations on your window such as a suncatcher, This will show the bird that this is an obstacle in the way & may distract him from flying towards the window.A serious accident could happen if he continues to fly into the window so you need to address it, even if it means shutting the blinds or pulling the curtains ;)

I have, no exaggeration, over 100 windows in my house. Its a contemporary home with more windows than walls. With a few exceptions, none of my windows have blinds or curtains. I suppose my instincts are correct, I did what you suggested today, tapping on the window in an effort to show him he can't fly through. I'm afraid I might have to get his wings clipped, though I don't really want to.

With that amount of windows it does sound as if you have a near impossible task ahead of you , be sure to read all the information available to you before you decide,as i said you can get a clip which allows some flight/guide but without the height,a too severe clip will have your grey thudding to the floor like a ton of bricks.It's paramount you find yourself a good avian vet & always remember even a clipped grey can fly away ;)

Hello wastrox ,

Clipping is definitely a must in you situation. Flying into windows, mirrors, ceiling fans etc. is a huge danger to any bird and given enough speed, will snap their neck and they will just fall to the floor dead.

This happens to young parrots sometimes that are fledging and fly directly into a wall, with too much speed and breaking their neck. They are not experienced enough to know how to put the "Air Brakes" on or bank quickly away before smashing into it.

Sorry for being so graphic, but I think the situation lends itself to it.

Just ensure the clip is done properly by a professional.