NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

can i tell his age or breader from foot ring?

jjcool

just a question regarding the ring around my african greys foot.

as i bought him off a couple about 8 months ago they were unsure of his age etc.

question is can i tell his age or breeder from the numbers off his ring on his foot?

thanks

Does your grey have a closed ring or split ring ? A closed ring is fitted when thr grey is very young & a closed ring can be fitted at any given time, you will see if it's a closed ring as it would have been closed tightly with pliers.As you are in the UK it should have the breeders initals & the year of hatch.It may have PSUK on it as well ;)

If you abolutely no idea of his age, take a closeup pic of the side of bird's head. Make sure camera is aimed at the eye. You can get a rough description of it's age by posting it. A split ring can be put on at any time. A closed ring can only be slipped on a baby bird's leg up to 10/12 days old. After that the toes aren't flexible. It also depends upon the state you live in but in your situation, organizations that can give band information won't be able to if the band is of the split type.