NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cleaning supplies

madisimmons

After all the horrible things about what cleaners can do to our Greys I have no idea what to clean with.

I loved using Pinesold, Windex etc... and lighting lovely smelling candles, having a clean fresh smelling house.

I don't have another cage so she cant leave the area and then air the house out, bring her back in..

Since we adopted Sammie I'm afraid to use anything..

Please tell me what you mop, dust, clean your windows, toilets, etc with.

I don't want to hurt Sammie!!<br><br>Post edited by: madisimmons, at: 2008/05/21 23:36

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kim, I use white vinegar a lot . I also use my favorite smell good cleaners diluted . I do not burn candles except in my back bath area , which is one place they never make it back to .If something smells a bit strong , I just crack a window slightly . I also have air cleaners , so usually I have no smells .We keep all potty lids closed and I use the regular standard cleaners .

I have had no problems .

mARY

I use diluted bleach and vinagar and water on tings for the birs like their cages and toys. On the Kitchen floor I use bleach and dish soap and on the hard wood I use vinagar and water because vinagar won;t harm the wood. in the bathroom I use regular bathroom cleaners because my birds don't use the bathroom excpt for their bi weekly soak to the skin shower and I usualy try to get that done before I clean the bathroom then I just turn on the fan and open the windows. in the Kitchen I use bleach to clean most things I dilute it to 1 part bleach to 10 parts water that will kill any germ that might be there. I also have 2 air cleaners so There are never any odors to worry about the air cleaners take care of that Pat

I use the vinegar and water on Sammie's cage, but vinegar is kinda smelly to me to use on other stuff..

I like the bleach idea... So the bleach smell will not harm the parrots if I mop the kitchen and she's in the living room.

You would think that would be the worst thing to use..

Thanks so much

Kim, is that recomended , make sure you rinse it completly .I only use vinegar water.I would rather be safe than sorry .I would call poison control and ask about the safty of this product.Just a thought , I 'm sure you checked it out ....

Mary

LOL, yes I have to admit it :P I love my house smelling clean and fresh, what can I say.. I was so distraught :( when I thought I was only going to be smelling vinegar :sick:

I gave away my smell good candles, the pinesol, Mr. Clean, plug-in's etc.. lol. I was having withdrawals :unsure: the green works is much better than vinegar!!

I'm right there with you Mary!!

Post edited by: madisimmons, at: 2008/05/28 05:05<br><br>Post edited by: madisimmons, at: 2008/05/28 05:06

Hey cleaning lady ,

I burn my candles on my patio, we spend a lot of time out there at night . It beats not having them at all and I do burn them back in our bedroom and bath , since it is so far away from the birds .I love my house smelling clean but my air cleaners usually do the trick .

Hugs,

Mary

I also use these rags called power rags , I bought them at home depot .I have ones that are used only on the cages. They are awesome . I spray the vinegar on, the rag has lines in the fabric , they work better than anything I have used to remove anything and everything LOL.... Then I just throw them in a bleach wash . I think they are online also under Power Rags.

Mary

I think I have something similar or maybe even the same that I bought at dollar general. I dont know how it cleans after you have washed it?? I couldn't find any literature how it cleans without chemicals. I do love using it for everything though, it's in my left hand and greenworks in my right. :P

p.s. everything but the cage, haha

Fantastic ideas, thank you for all of you! So just to let this get str8 in my head, you cannot use smelly stuff close to your greys, ie fragranted candles, plug in air deodorants, etc? (thats a big bummer) We have a vent-axia system built in to the ceiling of every room of the flat. Will i be able to use candles in the bedroom, and have the bird in the living room with that air cleaning system? Please advise!

Thank you!

Hi Empress,

welcome to the group.

Yes you are correct , not to use smelly things around the bird . Also you can not use Teflon coated cookware . I even heard a story about a lady who cooked a Turkey in her self cleaning oven last Thanksgiving and lost two birds as a result . The self cleaning oven started releasing some fumes from the splatters . I have never heard of such a thing . However when I cook , I open windows near the birds along with my air purifiers. They are very sensitive and even fire places can be a hazard.The burning wood releases chemicals.

I use candles back in our bed room , but I do keep my door shut and the birds are no where close to the area.So with the built in system , you could be safe . I know nothing about this type of air cleaner , so I wouldnt feel safe saying yes. Perhaps someone else can advise . It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Kind Regards,

Mary

Empress,

I just cleaned out my cleaning supplies, ie. anything with amonia, candles, windex, pine-sol, plug-ins, carpet fresh, incense, etc.

Mary was telling you about Teflon.. also beware, I heard avacado's and chocolate are a big no-no's..