NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Alternatives to paper on bottom of cage?

coleman

I have a 13 year old CAG who won`t leave the paper alone in the bottom of his cage. He immediately pulls it up and shreds it. I have also tried the pine pellets but those are so hard to clean out. I would love something like kitty litter that could be sifted effectively, but I assume that this would be bad for my bird. Any thoughts?

I have heard that kitty litter is bad and have never used it. does the cage have a grate at the bottom that you could place the paper under? if he likes to shread paper you can try hanging some in the cage for him to

dye is sealed) LATER, TIKA

Sammy`s cage does not have the grate at the bottom, unfortunately. We do

that until after he started shredding his liner paper. We thought that would distract him from his liner, but it doesn`t seen to make a difference.

I assume that the dust in the kitty litter would be bad for him, so I haven`t tried it.

Rhonda, if you had a cage that had more space between the bottom grate and the paper, this would help. I have a CAG who`s waiting on a new cage right now. Talk about my paper shredder, he is.

I have one cage that another CAG who`s young is in, and the space between does not allow him to retrieve anything from down below. I prefer these to any others, if not for health reasons.

As for the substance beneath the cage, I don`t use that so that I can monitor poops which can be insight into illnesses not yet revealed. JMO

OK - so...I have a CAG. I am currently using large sheets of printing paper from a printers, and they don`t have any more. I`m trying to put something down. Have any of you guys tried to use butcher paper? Is that OK for them?

Thanks in advance, Ralph

• 5 years later...

Maybe using some kind of pad that is still an easy clean up. Almost like foam but with a slick top. So he can still chew it up. But won't beable to destroy. Another thought is putting something on the floor under the cage like a drawer type deal with newspaper in that.

• 1 year later...

Tyco loves to shread news paper I actualy will give her one to shread in her cage I use news paper to line the cage bottom but she can't reach that paper through the grate the grate is at least 8 inches above the cage bottom. her cage is enormous and she uses every inch of it.