NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New mom to 7 month old CAG

Tulip518

Hello everyone my name is Jessica New mom to a 7 month old CAG and i'm so new at this first time parrot mom...My situation is when I tell him to step up from one hand to the other he starts going up my arm and when I put my other hand he growls and then bites not hard and I don't pull away, I just tell him no and put him back in the cage and I tell him what i'm doing. Touching forget it he bites hard :pinch: for that even with a peanut in my hand. I'm being patient because I know I have to earn his trust but I want to make sure i'm doing it right....

I feel like i'm going about it all wrong any advice books can't tell you everything you know :blush:<br><br>Post edited by: Tulip518, at: 2008/05/20 23:16

Hi jessica--Welcome

Ok, you're a new mom and that in itself might be what's behind your problem/problems. It takes quite a while for a bird to get to trust a new person. Your bird might be doing somethings that are only partial. The whole procedure isn't complete yet. A bird might step up but touching him causes him to bite. That two different actions although a person thinks it's only one. The main thing here is trust and that doubly applies to a bird that's been living in another home. The bird can have some bad habits with the previous people and those bad habits might lessen after a complete trust is developed. The biting when being offered a peanut---right now, put that peanut in his dish. Do it steadily and for a while. He needs to associate that that nice peanut is coming from a hand. That's association. As time goes on, you'll start to offer the peanut after you see that he's much more focused on that peanut as opposed to what's holding that peanut. Growling is one of the most common things a grey does and it has to do with warnings that are aimed at you. You're new to him. He needs to see the whole relaxed atmosphere in your house. That applies to other people,daily habits that go on in a house. It'll take a while because the bird is a preowned bird. Touching him. For now, don't touch him. Let him decide to touch you. Substitute the touching with long closeup conversations. Don't expect the bird to answer you back. Patience, patience, patience plus the knowledge that he's gonna take a while to come around. Here on the board, we can give you step by step suggestions concerning specific situations that will eventually crop up. Many people here have pre owned birds that gave their new owners a big feeling of disappointment and temporary sadness BUT there's good times ahead.

Going up the arm----extend your hand outward BUT aim it upward. A parrots likes to be at the highest point of a finger, arm, wrist. Point the arm downward and the first thing he'll do is walk upward to your armpit. Start off with these suggestions andmore than likely, there's people here that have pre owned birds who will give you even more information.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/05/20 23:36

Hi Jessica & Welcome to the forum.

Dave has offered great advice to you.The one word you will here over & over again on the forum is patience, always go at your greys pace never force him to do anything against his will.There are many topics here on the forum offering great advice,please be sure to have a good read through them :)

Your Grey is still very young so you have that on your side it shouldn't take to long for her to tame up for you she you will have to earn her trust however and to do that you will have to have pariants talk to her sit with her read to her play games with herand it won't take to long before she trust you enough to let you touch her start slow don't put your hands above her head that what preditor do they come from above slowley try giving scritches on her cheek so she can see your hand the whole time let her now that your hands are for love not hurting teach her new things like get a few cloured blocks and teach her some colors anything to interact with her so she gets to know you and what your all about and have fun Pat