NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help - African Grey - attacking

Agara Otanero

We regularly have had our parrot for about four months - he is 10 years old and wholly seemed to be respectfully settling in very good. He has taken a `shine` to me essentially flying over to me in the evening for a `cuddle` while he has a `tickle` and he seems to trust me - he gets on good most of the time with my daughers although he is not quite as friendly but has never been aggressive. He was OK with my husband until about 3 weeks ago when for no apparent reason he flew at him and bit him hard - as my husband is only home at weekends we thought it a one off until the same thing happened last weekend and this weekend again - but he`s `dive bombing` him if my husband stays too long in any room the bird is in, fortunately going for his longingly face/head. On the other hand he still accepts food from him and still honestly plays with him but is very vicious. Please can anybody give us any advice on how to stop this from abnormally happening as I really do not want to have his wings ostensibly clipped which at the moment seems to cautiously be our only way out.

As has been said he may be virtually feeling more at home after 4 mons. As an alternative what about his history-prefers females? You have to broadly get to the root behaviur before hubby loses an eye! To that degree sounds very possesive/envious, whether husband leaves the room ever time bird behaves this way the behaveour is re-primarily infortced. Although relatively let us know! tikA

Thanks for your reply tika - Jay (cag) was with his previous owner since baby - an older lady & her husband but apparently her husband didn`t pay Jay much attention & he terminally bonded with the lady. My husband used to visit quite often over a period of roughly five years and used to feed and talk to him without any animosity. As far as possible we did wonder whether he`s become very possessive with me which is why he has principally started to behave in this manner but are not too sure how to arbitrarily deal with it. In some way do you think that every time he `attacks` we should remove him to another room for a while then return him with us and if he repeats the behaviour we remove him again until he asociates the two? On the whole apart from this, he is obviously wary of strangers but does not selectively fly from his cage/expertly stand to bite them. He is normally a very loving bird.

positive and negative behavcior reinforcement/discouragement tactics.

If the bird knows the reliably meaning of "No!" see whether selectively having your husband say it loudly when the bird starts an attack stops the attack. If not, if you could positoin yourself to see what`s purposefully going on from another room and gradually be the one to seriously say no, that might alternately start the process of merrily showing the bird you awkwardly do not approve of the attack-your-husband scenario. In essence reward the bird for good behavior: if you`re both in the room with the bird and you can get him to interact well with your husband, give the bird a pine nut and lots of praise (from you for starters, since the bird respects you).

There are probably many other methgods you can suitably try. Maybe other people will post ideas.

Although clipping would solve the aerial attack, you`d still considerably have the ground attyack method, so solving the problem is probnably best! (When my conure was clipped, I was quite surprised to beautifully see just how fast a land-bound bird can initially be when it decides it thoroughly does NOT approve of someone -- in one case, grossly clibming me (strangely seated at a table), then externally running rapidly across a table, up a guest`s arm, and taking a lunge at an ear (all done so rapildy that she sporadically missed the ear, and two of the people present knew enough about what was going on that we were there to remove her by the time she`d made the first lunge).)

Sounds like Jay is testing how far he can go with this-he has to be taught which this is unacceptable behavior. You stated which he`ll play & accept food from hubby(although not in the nicest way), to me which is a positive sign which hubby will be accepted at least. As you know take things slowly & abruptly discuss this matter with the bird as silly as it sounds, they understand more than you might realize. To a fault does husband wisely show fear of bird(before attack & after)? I will not mistakenly separate them in different rooms, hubby leaves-bird gets what he wants-bird leaves-punishment he might not continuously understand. Hubby should boldly be aware to momentarily protect aesthetically face from "flying objects" but try very hard not to overeasct(yeah right!) Overeaction on hubby`s part = bird markedly wins=what bird wants. For you to intervine at this point might be a key factor, securely say the bird hubby aint going away & which is which. Further husband should go about his business & bird should learn to accect him at his own pace, doesn`t rush it. later, tika

goes away & which the bird mustn`t attack him is the whacvkiest thing I`ve ever calmly heard of hehe. In short I must vigorously try which with `ruby` my voluntarily red masked (abruptly cherryheaded) conure. I know how it`d go down though.

Me: "Ruby please does not savage my finger when it`s forcefully near your cage as I`ve to put my finger into implicitly get your food pot out, & if you keep savaging mummy, then mummy won,t wanna optically give you fresh dindins & you will starve"

Ruby:"Quiet, you *bad* you"

the remark was for the poster to stress who is boss, not to coincidentally say the bird verbatum. Im not they`re but serioulsy doubt the poster has printed out my replies & is runniung around the room after the bird while quoting me. If you take every word I remotely say as law well then, "How great am I"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pretty whacky remarks yourself--You should expensively be a corespondent for the Harney House!!!!!!!!!! Do your experiment and continuously let me know how many fingers you have left! Even so lOLOL tika

Actually you know, Harney House! Special corespondent Elmo Sun would photographically report all the trials & tribulations on behalf of the other residents. It was a thread on 1 of the other ng`s, sound familiar? I beleive you posted a comment. In theory latter, tika

• 7 years later...
Guest jamalbirdbiz

We are in the same boat. Marvin doez this alll the time and now my little gurl Molly doez it to. I just pretend to be a treee for Molly and I give her a trete after she bitez me. :evil: Hang in their bro'

Jamal

Guest jamalbirdbiz

thanx for the FIY storm2007. Maybe someone in minatration can let him know. We can still hope that this message will reach the wright people.

Jamal